Author Topic: Springback Bookbinder - comments please  (Read 8115 times)

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Springback Bookbinder - comments please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 March 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the type of plastic sleeve and the type of ink used in the printed sheets - do be careful if the material is something you will want to keep for a long time (very likely in the case of a family tree).
I recently threw out some ring binder sleeves, because I found the pages inside them had stuck to the plastic. Luckily it wasn't anything important, and wasn't too damaged. I learned my lesson, and now buy archival quality sleeves from my local Family History Centre, not too expensve either. Hope this is useful,
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 March 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »

It's only in the last number of years that plastic sleeve are so readily available. When I first started researching my family they weren't in shops and we used paper and ring reinforcements to protect the punched holes.

I remember those reinforcements - they did take forever to use - I keep some things in plastic sleeves but I wonder about long term storage of same - I have had some pages "stick" - but perhaps that was old types of plastic - must ask Prue

I think the folders illustrated look nice - my Dad used a similar one (no printing on same) - he also used Manila folders inside it to separate different types of information, but to look at anything I do open it completely & remove the sections before reading.

Trish

Edit: Sorry giraffe - I obviously didn't read to the end before replying - I'm not the only one who is wary of the plastic sleeves
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 March 08 10:22 GMT (UK) »
If you decide to use ring binders, it is worth spending a little extra on the 4-ring type, and a 4-hole punch, rather than 2 . . . the added support helps avoid the holes ripping out after prolonged use. MyHistory also supply a nice A3, 4-ring folder plus inserts. (I have no connection with them, but I do like their customer service)

Here are a couple of other useful links for anyone serious about conserving (not sure if they're already provided elsewhere on RC)

http://www.preservationequipment.com
http://www.conservationregister.com/familydocuments.asp?id=4

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 March 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I made the decision to go ahead and purchase a Springback Bookbinder.  It arrived today and I am delighted with it!

There are one or two things to be aware of as mentioned previously.

A)    Make sure you set the margins to be wider on the odd pages   
        (Open Office did that for me on already normally typed work.)

B)    Don't attempt to add pages individually - take all the pages out,
       put in  the extras.

C)    Have someone open the Springbinder as you line the pages up
        by tapping on the table.  When all the pages are squared up
        replace in the binder.

Very simple and very professional, see photo's below,

Regards,
Abiam

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 March 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad you are satisfied with it !   If that's your book in the second picture, then obviously you have done a professional looking job, and the cost of spring binders are well worth it.  Very impressive.

Now me ... well, I have the ring binders and plastic sleeves for 'finished' printed out stuff; proper photo albums for photos (acid free page liners and those photo corners); certs in labelled  paper envelopes filed in the ring binders; things like old family letters are in those proper archive sleeves ... and the rest ?  In a series of notebooks and odd scraps of paper in a box under my bed !   Oh, and everything is on my computer and also on a separate hard drive and a separate collection of discs.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 March 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lydart,

Yes that's my book and I'm thrilled with it.  But I'm by no way finished!!!  This is just for one book for my Great, Great, Grand Uncle's story who was an early pioneer to Australia.  And there is still more info to be found.  This is why I am so pleased because, if you don't number the pages, you can add more if say some photo's turn up or new information.

I have just had a big clear out of "not needed stuff" and I'm wondering how long before I'm missing something of great importance!  And if you could see my desk even after a clear out last week.......  There won't be a photo of that on RC.

Regards,
Abiam