Author Topic: Buddo Family History  (Read 41380 times)

Offline Forbest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buddo Family History
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 13 February 11 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I hope the following information is of interst to those tracking David Buddo snr.
In 1851 David Buddo senior is living at 5 Golf Place St Andrews and Euphemia Durward, house servant is also living at 5 Golf Place St Andrews. They are the only two individuals living at this address. Euphemia did not marry David Buddo senior but did have his illegitimate child, who was raised as David Buddo Johnston, but known as David Buddo in adulthood.
As to whether David Buddo senior received a knighthood there is no evidence I have seen to confirm that he did and he was never referred to as Sir in any public records.
According to the Parochial Register, George Gordon Esq. is living at Kinburn House in 1861 and in 1867 Major Boothby and family are living at Kinburn House.
In the 1861 Census Buddo snr is a lodger in Edinburgh at 2 Elm Row Edinburgh South. His occupation is listed as Surgeon (not practising).
The 1856 shooting that the curator of St Andrews Museum refers to, sounds like the one that took place in 1862. In a copy of the indictment against David Buddo snr he is described as residing at Kinburn House.
The crime attracted a lot of publicity and was written about in the Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh and other newspapers.
The newspapers reported that on July 29th 1862 John Cuthbert a young joiner from Crail had been sweet hearting a maid servant, and had called on her one evening when Dr Buddo came out in great fury and asked Cuthbert what he was doing there. Cuthbert answered him civilly stating that he was working on the adjoining property and had got acquainted with the servant. He at the same time gave his name and address but seeing that Buddo was still in a passion he turned to go away. Buddo then coolly raised his gun and shot the unsuspecting man in the back. Cuthbert was severely wounded and in a critical state with great loss of blood. 
Buddo was arrested the next morning and conveyed to Cupar jail.
Mr Cuthbert is described as a quiet decent lad and highly respected by all who knew him.
David Buddo snr was to have been tried in the High Court Perth on September 29 1862 for the crime of discharging loaded firearms to the effusion of blood and serious injury of John Cuthbert.
David Buddo snr was not able to be called as he had died around midnight on September 22 1862. There was a lot of rumour surrounding the timing and circumstances of his death.

Before David Buddo snr died a civil case had been raised against him by Cuthbert for personal injuries and loss of time incurred.
The civil case proceeded the following year on July 20 1863.
Cuthbert v Buddo before Lord Barcaple for damages by John Cuthbert, against David Buddo of Drumlithie Kincardineshire the natural son of the late Dr Buddo (who takes his moveables under a holograph will) and William Buddo the brother of the late Dr Buddo (who takes his heritage as heir-at-law). The defenders denied liability but tendered £55 damages and expenses which was declined, then £106 which was also declined. Mr Cuthbert was awarded £153, 3s in full for damages and expenses. 

I have a few other pieces of interesting information which I will post at a later date.[/color]

My Great great grandfather was John Cuthbert a joiner from Crail. Would have been 25 at the time of the incident. Do you have any further information on this

Offline Forbest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 13 February 11 07:11 GMT (UK) »
My Great great grandfather was John Cuthbert, a joiner from Crail. He would have been 25 at the time of the incident. Do you have any further information or can you advise me of any sources for the story. Also ....what was the maid servants name??

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

For what it's worth, I've attached a photograph of BUDDO ROCK situated at Buddo Ness on the Fife Coastal Path between St Andrews and Kingsbarns.

It's a rather impressive chunk of sandstone well whittled by the winds.  Viewed from certain angles I sometimes think that the left hand side (as you view the image) looks a bit like Peter Ustinov!

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 03:25 GMT (UK) »
My Great great grandfather was John Cuthbert, a joiner from Crail. He would have been 25 at the time of the incident. Do you have any further information or can you advise me of any sources for the story. Also ....what was the maid servants name??

I wondered how John Cuthebert had fared after the shooting. I will be able to give you a bit more information soon - when I can find some time to go through my files :) !!

Offline Forbest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 06:28 GMT (UK) »
John Cuthbert ( joiner Crail)  was the only John Cuthbert in Fife of "sweethearting" age in 1861 census (single) . The other was a 17 yr old Blacksmith from Kingsbarns.
I look forward to hearing more.
Thanks

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 02:53 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit more information for Buddo descendants in New Zealand.
David Buddo arrived in New Zealand in 1876 on the ship 'City of Dunedin' which sailed from Glasgow 25th March 1876 arriving in Lyttelton on 1st July 1876.
He was an assisted immigrant under the government 'Vogel' immigration scheme that targeted agricultural labourers and domestic servants. He stated his age as 23, his occupation as ‘forrester’ and his place of residence as Perth.
Buddo’s fare was £16 which he had to pay back to the government in instalments.

David Buddo Johnston’s mother Euphemia Dorward and stepfather Robert Johnston and their children are buried in the Kirkyard of Glenbervie:
Stone: 225
William Johnston 5 Sep 1869
Robert Johnston 20 Mar 1900
Robert Johnston 14 Sep 1906
Euphemia Dorward 16 Dec 1906
Betsy Hamilton Johnston 19 Oct 1942
Euphemia Catherine Johnston 21 Oct 1945

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 02:55 BST (UK) »
I will hopefully be able to locate more information on John Cuthbert shortly  :)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of info. on CUTHBERT/CULBERT in the East Neuk of Fife, but I had nothing on John the would-be Romeo who got himself shot, so I donned my trusty deerstalker, and with magnifying-glass in hand set off in hot pursuit, anticipating a two-pipe problem. Some of you who have posted here may know all or most of the following already.

In the 1861 census John Cuthbert, 24, wright, unmarried, b. Crail, was lodging in the Douglas Inn at the sign of the Red Lion in Strathmiglo. Five years later in 1866 this John Cuthbert married Elizabeth Motion at Newington in Edinburgh. John was the son of David Cuthbert, slater, and Elizabeth Brown, in Crail.

John Cuthbert died in 1908, aged 72, in the Cottage Hospital, St. Andrews. His usual place of residence was Strathkinness.

Re Buddo, earlier today I was chasing up a family called Cargill in St. Andrews and came across Buddo by mistake, or rather, by chance.

In 1915 Frederick Welch Cargill married Janet Wilson Dalrymple in St. Andrews. She was from Grassmiston farm, Crail, and her parents were Thomas Dalrymple, mason, and Janet BUDDO. Thomas and Janet were married in 1869 in St. Andrews. So there's another Buddo for anyone who collects them.

There are still people in the East Neuk called Budd, and I suspect that's a shortened form of Buddo.

I almost forgot - the Janet Buddo who married Thomas Dalrymple in 1869 was the daughter of William Buddo, surfaceman, and Janet Wilson, in St. Andrews.

Harry

Offline BluePict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 April 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
Below are census records for 1871. As you will see, Euphemia uses Robert's surname but there is no record of a marriage that I can find. Her name is Dorward when she is buried, so it looks as though she didn't care about not being married.

Household JOHNSTON, Robert 1825 46  M Glenbervie Kincardineshire VIEW   -->
Household JOHNSTON, Robert 1859 12  M Glenbervie Kincardineshire VIEW  -->
Household JOHNSTON, Euphemia 1825 46  F Glenbervie Kincardineshire VIEW  --> 
Household JOHNSTON, Euphemia Cathrine 1861 10  F Glenbervie Kincardineshire 
Household JOHNSTON, Betsy Hamilton 1870 1  F Glenbervie Kincardineshire