Author Topic: Buddo Family History  (Read 41379 times)

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buddo Family History
« Reply #45 on: Friday 20 April 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks harry :D I wonder if Elizabeth Motion was the poor girl who witnessed the shooting! and BluePict it is interesting to see David Buddo Johnston's mother Euphemia is listed as Johnston on the census but when she is buried at Glenbervie she is Euphemia Dorward.
I wonder if the New Zealand Buddo-Johnston descendants kept in touch with the Johnstons of Glenbervie. Who knows David may have sent photographs or visited his family when he took his bride Janet Rollo on a honeymoon tour in 1887 that included England and Scotland.

Will be back with more information soon. I must organise my archives!  ;)

Offline BluePict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 21 April 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 Census David Buddo jnr is a lodger at 3 Flesh Vennel Middle Church Perth, Perthshire. Aged 18, his occupation is engine cleaner at the Caledonian Railway Sheds.

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 21 April 12 08:16 BST (UK) »
So he wasn't David Buddo Johnston in 1871...I wonder when he became a 'forrestor'

Here is a bit more about the shooting, which also throws a bit of light on Kinburn House as well.
In the Dunfermline Press 6 Aug 1862 it was reported that Dr Buddo was liberated on bail, and returned to his own house on Saturday afternoon. The Doctor is a single gentleman of very retired and somewhat eccentric habits, [who] …devotes much of his time to magnetic studies.
In the Fife Herald  14 Aug - DR BUDDO'S LIBERATION ON BAIL
TO THE EDITOR OF THE FIFE HERALD. St Andrews, 12th August, 1862.
Sir, In an article in your paper of Thursday last, relative to the liberation of Dr Buddo, St Andrews, you state that Messrs Black & Morrison [arranged bail],..."It was I who applied for and obtained bail for my brother"
This was written by David Buddo snrs elder brother John Buddo.
The Editor says in reply......"instead of complaining of our slight references to this affair, our correspondent ought to have admired our kindly abstinence from remark upon other awkward features of the case, to which we trust we will not .. have occasion to refer”
John Buddo’s occupation was ‘writer’ which was the 19th century term for a solicitor. When John Buddo died in 1871 Kinburn House was part of his estate. It appeared to have been leased to different families and operated as a boarding house. John Buddo also owned a few houses in Golf Place in which rooms were rented out to lodgers.

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 21 April 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 Census David Buddo jnr is a lodger at 3 Flesh Vennel Middle Church Perth, Perthshire. Aged 18, his occupation is engine cleaner at the Caledonian Railway Sheds.

Do you know where John Cuthbert was in 1871? Would be interesting :)

Offline BluePict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 21 April 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
That is interesting information Fife. To answer your question re. John Cuthbert: He was in St Andrews at Shorebridge. He was still married to Betsy (Elisabeth) (nee Motion) and they had two children: Alexander aged 3 and Margaret aged 1. His occupation is joiner. So he must have recovered enough from the serious injuries inflicted by the coward David Buddo who shot him in the back when he turned to leave.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 21 April 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
In 1871 John Cuthbert, aged 34, joiner, born Crail, is living in St. Andrews with his wife Betsy (Motion) and son Alexander, 3. They're at a place called Woodburn, but alongside John's name is Gibson's Saw Mill, heavily scored out with a thick black line.

I have a small connection with Kinburn House, the scene of the dastardly shooting. Before it opened as a museum in 1991(?) I was asked, as a supposed expert on Older Scots, to write and record a little conversation between two merchants in medieval times on a St. Andrews street, which visitors to the museum could listen to on tape. I was invited to the opening ceremony and met a teacher from my old school in Anstruther whom I hadn't seen for about 17 years.

I've just posted this, and BluePict posted at the same time so I'm modifying my post. I didn't check the next page of the census, and obviously John and Betsy had 2 children, not just 1. The names Shorebridge and Woodburn both appear on the census page, and I'm not sure just where they are.

Harry

Offline BluePict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 21 April 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Harry, great to have an historian on the spot.

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 22 April 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
Great information Harry and BluePict. It will give Forbest something to work with re his great great grandfather John Cuthbert.
John Cuthbert would have taken a while to recover. I imagine it would be diffcult to take up his joinery trade for a while due to muscle damage etc. After the shooting, he was not able to be moved to the care of his relatives in Crail until mid September 1862 (Dunfermline Press).

It seems that there is more to the story - re David Buddo seniors previous conduct- as the editor of the Fife Herald indicated. 

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
It's great the way an inquiry starts to take on a life of its own.  Nothing like a good mystery to get others interested. 

If the NZ David Buddo did explain his background to Janet Rollo on their honeymoon, I suspect it may have ended there.  With his rise to fortune and a cabinet minister position in the NZ government, it is likely he did not stress his illegitimacy.  The current generation have certainly made no mention of it.  That said, in his obituary, it did imply that Euphemia was not David Buddo snr's wife:
David Buddo was born on 23 August 1853 in Edinburgh, Scotland, the son of Euphemia Stevenson Dorward and David Buddo, a surgeon in the Indian civil service. A rural childhood gave him a lifelong love of farming and country life. He was educated in Kincardineshire, and at a private grammar school in Perth, Scotland. He also served in the Kincardineshire Volunteers.

FIFE, you mention John Buddo's will.  I'd be interested in getting hold of a copy as it might give a few leads about the others in David Buddo snr's family.  Are you able to assist?