Author Topic: Visit to Kew  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Visit to Kew
« on: Friday 21 March 08 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I left the below on the great war forum, but it seems no one knows there, so was hoping to get some answers here.

Sometime with in the next few weeks I'am to visit Kew for some research and copy service records on 6 WWI soldiers who lost there lives and are commeorated on a memorial.  Before i go i would like some guidence please as to what i should / need to take with me. such as searching for medal card reference?.or any other relative details i would need to help, also what should I expect to come away with. I have the obvious, name & number etc gathered from the SDGW & CWGC. ...

Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Kew
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 13:17 GMT (UK) »
It will help to know their regiments, ranks and service numbers but, unless they were officers, or served in the Army before the War, you may be disappointed in finding their records, as only about 40% survived the fire in 1940. 

You can search Documents Online in the reading room and print off what you find from medal cards for just 20p a sheet, rather than the £3.50 it costs to download them.

You can also search the catalogue before you go to see if you can locate any service records, which will give you the piece numbers you need to request (these will probably be original documents).

Although you are unlikely to find "other ranks" mentioned by name, it is still worth looking at the war diary for a soldier's unit if no service records exist, as it will tell you what whas happening at the time he was killed.  If you are VERY lucky (as I was, twice!) you may just find your man mentioned.

If you have a half-decent digital camera, capable of taking pictures in a well-lit room without flash, take it along with you - you will be able to photograph any documents and save the cost of photocopying.  If you have a laptop or hand-held computer, that is OK as well, but you will have to take it out of its case before going in.

Don't forget, you are only allowed to use pencils in the archives (no pens), and no erasers.  You can take a notebook, but not a loose-leaf folder, and any loose sheets must be stapled together, so don't take valuable items like original certificates, etc.!  All bags have to be left in a locker and the items you take in put in a clear plastic carrier (provided).

If you don't already have a readers' ticket for the NA, you can register on line before you go; they will take your picture and produce your card for you on arrival.

There is a car park at the archives, but space is fairly limited - there is no charge for parking.

Good hunting
Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill Thanks for the reply, i have just asked a few questions below in red, very grateful for the help, not visiting the place before it's very helpful to have some idea of what to expect.

It will help to know their regiments, ranks and service numbers but, unless they were officers, or served in the Army before the War, you may be disappointed in finding their records, as only about 40% survived the fire in 1940. 
I have most information from the SDGW & CWGC

You can search Documents Online in the reading room and print off what you find from medal cards for just 20p a sheet, rather than the £3.50 it costs to download them.
Would this be online at the reading room at Kew, or can i at home?.

You can also search the catalogue before you go to see if you can locate any service records, which will give you the piece numbers you need to request (these will probably be original documents).
Can you give me a quick link please, would you mean from, http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Home_page

Although you are unlikely to find "other ranks" mentioned by name, it is still worth looking at the war diary for a soldier's unit if no service records exist, as it will tell you what whas happening at the time he was killed.  If you are VERY lucky (as I was, twice!) you may just find your man mentioned.
I was able to find info from online war diaries, two of my own family relatives which was very helpful, i later employed a researcher to find the service records.

If you have a half-decent digital camera, capable of taking pictures in a well-lit room without flash, take it along with you - you will be able to photograph any documents and save the cost of photocopying.  If you have a laptop or hand-held computer, that is OK as well, but you will have to take it out of its case before going in.
I would be well equipted with a nikon dslr also a laptop,. Taking a laptop, would i be able to use the mains supply?. although i don't think the photcopying will be a problem.

Don't forget, you are only allowed to use pencils in the archives (no pens), and no erasers.  You can take a notebook, but not a loose-leaf folder, and any loose sheets must be stapled together, so don't take valuable items like original certificates, etc.!  All bags have to be left in a locker and the items you take in put in a clear plastic carrier (provided).
Sounds very much like the NRO

If you don't already have a readers' ticket for the NA, you can register on line before you go; they will take your picture and produce your card for you on arrival.
Thats interesting, never thought of that.

There is a car park at the archives, but space is fairly limited - there is no charge for parking.
Should travel down by train where my wifes uncle has a taxi cab so should be able to get to and fro ok..
Good hunting
Bill

Kind regards
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Blue-Spirit,

Time goes quickly at Kew and it can be a bit bewildering on a first visit. The staff are very helpful though and the first time I went I joined one of their guided tours.
 I suggest you post what you know about the men you are researching here and with a bit of luck you can save yourself some valuable time, especially as it doesn't look as if the refurbishment is going to be complete for a few weeks yet.
Keep an eye on the updates on their website.
The reading desks have power points in them.

Any more questions?  :)

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 08 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Would this be online at the reading room at Kew, or can i at home?

You can search the index from home, but it will cost £3.50 to download and view the results.  In the reading room at Kew you can view the records free and print them off for 20p.

Can you give me a quick link please, would you mean from, http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Home_page

You can search the catalogue from here

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 08 15:34 GMT (UK) »
WW1 Medal Card Rolls are available on Ancestry, for those having a subscription.

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill.
Thanks for that,
I have found the reference to some i am insearch of, what extra info would i gain from downloading ?.

Regards......

Would this be online at the reading room at Kew, or can i at home?

You can search the index from home, but it will cost £3.50 to download and view the results.  In the reading room at Kew you can view the records free and print them off for 20p.

You can search the catalogue from here

Bill
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 March 08 16:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi  Phil,
 After your reply i just read online about the reference to visits and work which is going on, so its quite possible i will leave my research untill all work has been done.I intend to search for a couple of days if its needed staying around my wifes uncles.

I have quite abit of information on my soldiers, but it would be better to obtain there personal service records which would contain much more details,  i don't think anyone here could supply, having not been involved with the NA before the web site is a little confusing to search.

I'am not sure what i would gain from downloading the Medal index?.

Thanks for your reply.
regards

Hello Blue-Spirit,

Time goes quickly at Kew and it can be a bit bewildering on a first visit. The staff are very helpful though and the first time I went I joined one of their guided tours.
 I suggest you post what you know about the men you are researching here and with a bit of luck you can save yourself some valuable time, especially as it doesn't look as if the refurbishment is going to be complete for a few weeks yet.
Keep an eye on the updates on their website.
The reading desks have power points in them.

Any more questions?  :)

Phil
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 08 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blue Spirit

When I downloaded my grandfather's medal card, it told me which medals he had earned, including the Silver War Badge.  This means that his name will also be on the SWB roll, maybe giving more details.  It also gave me the date of his discharge, and that his MM and SWB had been found and returned to him in 1935.  I've just given the details I have to a researcher who is going to look for me.  But if nothing turns up, at least I have these few details to add to my information.

Good luck with your search - I would love to visit Kew, maybe some time in the future.

Regards

Rosemary