Author Topic: Matthew Bell/ Salkeld/Woolsington Hall  (Read 33828 times)

Offline rjth79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Bell/ Salkeld/Woolsington Hall
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 February 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie,
I was right, Elizabeth and Wilhelmina were sister's.
And Elizabeth and Henry are buried next to Frank at St. Andrew's and Jesmond.
The inscriptions are ....

'429207 Flight Sergeant F Hutchinson Royal Australian Air Force 8th January 1945 aged 28. Husband of Joan, son of Thomas and of the late Wilhelmina who died 29th November 1964 aged 76.'

This is a Commonwealth War Grave of the RAAF, it is a white cross with the RAAF coat of arms engraved in it.
And to the immediatley to its left, a green marble/rock covered grave with a black headstone ( i think from memory)

'In loving memory of Elizabeth Lillias Leatherland died 18th February 1966 aged 75 and her dear husband Henry Leatherland died 1st October 1973 aged 79. RIP.

If you haven't seen them and you were interested.

Rich

Offline Pointed Stick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Val, Rich and any other interested party,
I still live at Woolsington Hall, behind the main buildings, we previously lived at Sunniside.
I can supply recent/older pictures if required, and possibly some other info.
My wife used to work for Bill & Diana, I used to play squash against Bill.
He always beat me!!
The Smiths moved out in 1995, selling up the year before.
The current owner did nothing to the place until last year when he was basically forced to under threats of compulsary purchase.
Any more info?
Bob

Offline dodgerpierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm from Canada and my great-great-grandmother was a kitchen maid at Woolsington Hall in 1851 working for Matthew Bell MP-(she was listed in the census as Mary Caisley although Ancestry.com has her under Mary Carsley).
I am interested to ask Bob, who still lives on the property, how it looks now?  Is the restoration anywhere near complete and is there anything to see?  I will be in England this summer and just wanted to know if it was worth swinging by to see where my ancestor used to peel potatoes. 
It must have been a swanky place at one time as she was one of 14 servants!
Any info on the property would be appreciated.

Patti
Ellison, Cocks, Shaw, Lucken, Peake, Thomson, Broadbent, Wilcox, Halliday, Turner, Latham, Caisley, Fryar, Mortimore, Marshall, Brice, Borland

Offline JMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 April 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello lindjemp. I am John Roberts, a resident of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I am buying four oil paintings this week. All are portraits of the Bell family of Woolsington Hall and all are unidentified sitters. Thought you may like to know this. You could phone me if you wish at 001-250-477-4127.

Offline JMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 April 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm from Canada and my great-great-grandmother was a kitchen maid at Woolsington Hall in 1851 working for Matthew Bell MP-(she was listed in the census as Mary Caisley although Ancestry.com has her under Mary Carsley).
I am interested to ask Bob, who still lives on the property, how it looks now?  Is the restoration anywhere near complete and is there anything to see?  I will be in England this summer and just wanted to know if it was worth swinging by to see where my ancestor used to peel potatoes. 
It must have been a swanky place at one time as she was one of 14 servants!
Any info on the property would be appreciated.

Patti
Hi Patti, which part of Canada are you from?

Offline dodgerpierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi JMR

I am living in Waterloo ON, home of the Blackberry right now, but I was born in Hamilton, which is where Mary Ann Caisley's son emigrated to in around 1910.
Are you related to the Bell family or just interested in the paintings?

Patti
Ellison, Cocks, Shaw, Lucken, Peake, Thomson, Broadbent, Wilcox, Halliday, Turner, Latham, Caisley, Fryar, Mortimore, Marshall, Brice, Borland

Offline JMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Patti. There is an auction coming up Thursday this week where four oil paintings will be sold. Each one of these paintings is a portrait of descendants of Matthew Bell, M.P. but each portrait is untitled unfortunatley. They appear to be 19th-century. There is also a mention on the backs of the canvases that the Bell family were living at Woolsingham Hall. I came across your message while researching the hall which is now owned by Sir John Hall, a soccer tycoon. I live in Victoria, B.C. Hope you enjoy your visit to the old country. - John.

Offline lindjemp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi  to you both - I have sent private messages with regards to sending pictures as I have quite a few of Woolsington Hall and also pictures of the Bells themselves.

Patti - just for info - I can trace the Bells ancestors back 23 generations to Edward III - so you can always boast your g g grandmother worked for relations to royalty!

cheers

Linda

Offline Pipermike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 December 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My daughter has just told me about all these discussions about Woolsington. I used to live there! The Watsons still live at Sunnyside. I have recently acquired a painting called 'Meet at Wolsington' (sic) by J Atkinson. I think it dates from the turn of the last century. It is definitely Woolsington Hall.