Author Topic: "MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence.....UPDATED and none the wiser  (Read 21423 times)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence.....UPDATED and none the wiser
« on: Thursday 13 January 05 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, im trying to find Cornelius George Lawrence b1848, Cheltenham.

I have found his Birth and his Marraige details.......but thats as far as my searching has got for him. I cannot find him on the 1851 census.

Thank you, CAZ

;DSEE FURTHER DOWN THREAD FOR THE UPDATE :)
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 05 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caz

This is a case of names being changed and proved quite tricky!  It sounds as though you have access to Ancestry, so should be able to follow these up:

Cornelius George LAWRENCE birth Sep 1847 Cheltenham 11 194

Marriage 1869 Cheltenham 6a 678 to Sarah Ann COMPTON

1871 RG10/2668 Cheltenham
LAWRENCE Cornelius George 23 born Cheltenham
Sarah Ann wife 23 born ditto
George Harry son 1 born ditto

1881 not found (yet!)

1891 RG12/2045
LAURANCE George 43 born Cheltenham
Sarah Ann 43
and Harry, Lottie, Louisa, Ernest, Lizzie, Edward

1901 RG13/2460 ED 2 F24 P3
LAWRENCE Harry born Cheltenham
Emma born Coleford
Ernest brother 20
Lizzie sister 17
& Harry's children

Possible death of Sarah Ann in 1899 (Cheltenham Sep 6a 292 aged 53) might help explain the siblings being with Harry.

Have done this in a bit of a ruch and apologise for incomplete references.  Let me know if you have trouble finding them again!

Arranroots

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 05 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanx again Arranroots, Most of that info i already had, apart from the 1901 census, that is the death for sarah and i think i have another marraige for Cornelius a few years after sarah died, cant remember her first name but the surname was Pearce.

I have trawled through the 40 place entries for Gloucestershire on the "rootsweb.com~cots", needless to say it took me a few days to go through the couple of thousand names. I did however, come acros a Cornelius George Lawrence, right age but with a family called DERRETT, mother was put down as widow on this census, and she was also born Charlton Kings, where Cornelius was from.

This was the only Cornelius George Lawrence on this entire census, i am however waiting for his Birth Certificate to turn up, Dispatch date was given as 12 Jan.

But even with the fathers name (when i get the cert) it dont explain why he's not on the 1851 census (with LAWRENCE as his surname).

Any ideas on how to solve this one. Im new to all of this so not too clever on knowing how to solve certain family mysteries.
Thanx, Caz
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 05 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Here's Cornelius in 1881 (note spelling)

RG11/2572 ED22 F79 P12

2 Baker Street, Cheltenham

Cornelias G LAWRENCE 33 Stoker in gas works
Sarah Ann 33
George H 11
Sarah L 6
Louisa A 3
Edwin F 1

I wonder if Sarah L is the Lottie from 1891?  I also wonder what happened to Edward (1891 census) by 1901?  

Having trouble with this posting, so stopping to refuel with lunch!!

Arranroots

Have just seen your posting and sorry I was confused about what you were looking for.  Have you tried changes of name and spellings, as that seems to be a common factor in all this??  Incidentally Charlton Kings is not quite the same as Cheltenham, even though they are now merged - searches on one won't necessarily produce the other. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 05 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots, Edward for the 1901 census was with a sister and her husband " Louisa Anna Lawrence + Joseph Millard.

I checked every name on the other website (rootsweb.com~cots), You dont have no choice but to, unfortunately, the only explanation i could come with was : Cornelius's dad died before the 1851 census was taken and for some reason the mother may have gone to her maiden name DERRETT, long shot i know but cant think of any other option.

Im from Cheltenham and so is most of my family, and they still live there,(im now in Bedworth, Warwickshire), so i understand what you say about Charlton Kings, on Freebmd it just says place of birth CHELTENHAM, but my nan + grandad's families lived and came from Charlton Kings (well most of them) and this is why on the 1851 census i wondered if i had the right Cornelius , just the surname is a bit confusing.

Hope all the above makes sense, i know what im trying to say, it's just putting it down in text form and making sense.
CAZ

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 05 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look through all of my notes and i couldnt find them on the 1881 census either, in fact , checking census years for the one's i have found, there is'nt a 1881 census for none of the Lawrence families i have, my nan's maiden name was also Lawrence before she married a Lawrence, (not related before marraige either, i did ask)

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence.....UPDATED and none the wiser
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, im trying to find Cornelius George Lawrence b1848, Cheltenham.

I have found his Birth and his Marraige details.......but thats as far as my searching has got for him. I cannot find him on the 1851 census.

Thank you, CAZ

I have trawled through the 40 place entries for Gloucestershire on the "rootsweb.com~cots", needless to say it took me a few days to go through the couple of thousand names. I did however, come acros a Cornelius George , right age but with a family called DERRETT, mother  CHARLOTTE DERRETT was put down as widow on this census, and she was also born Charlton Kings, where Cornelius was from. Also on the same family was MATILDA  22  Laundress  Charlton Kings,  Ann  14  Laundress  Uckington,  Elizabeth  12  Uckington,  Charlotte  9  Cheltenham.

This was the only Cornelius George Lawrence on this entire census, i am however waiting for his Birth Certificate to turn up, Dispatch date was given as 12 Jan.

But even with the fathers name (when i get the cert) it dont explain why he's not on the 1851 census (with LAWRENCE as his surname).

BIRTH CERT TURNED UP TODAY !!!!  NONE THE WISER

The names on the birth cert tie in on the 1851 census, but not surname :'(

Cornelius George LAWRENCE   
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]4//8/1847........MOTHER..MATLIDA LAWRENCE......
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]no father noted......BUT..name of informant....CHARLOTTE DERRETT.
ErrorSPAM
][/color]

Any ideas on how to solve this one. Im new to all of this so not too clever on knowing how to solve certain family mysteries.
Thanx, Caz.

Offline Tiffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caroline, was browsing as you do, and have found your Cornelius George Lawrence aged 3 years on 1851 census living with Charlotte Derrett in Gloucestershire No. 8 Wood Parade Cheltenham Gloucester, it seems he is listed at the house under HER surname and she is aged 41 years and widowed also with her are Matilda 22 Ann 14  Elizabeth 12 and Charlotte 9.  Things can get so confusing but my guess is that Matilda could possibly be the mother of an (illegitimate Cornelius) and perhaps Lawrence is possibly the name of the father, not registered but referred to in common-law.  Quite often the Grandmother (in this case Charlotte may have taken the child on as her own - to save face - or, the enumerator has put them all down as the same surname, these things do happen.  I hope after all this, this message works.

Best regards

Tiffy
Cawley(sidmouth)Capon(mile end) Forty(gloucester/london)Lewis(wherwell/leatherhead)Walstow(nottingham/plumstead/woolwich

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 18:05 GMT (UK) »
1861 census RG9 1801 folio 49
Alstone Cheltenham  Gloucestershire   
Matilda Derrett 32 Charlton, Gloucestershire, Head  Unmarried Laundress
Ann Derrett 24  Charlton, Gloucestershire,  Sister Unmarried Laundress
Charlotte Derrett 17  Alstone, Gloucestershire,  Daughter  Unmarried Laundress
Cornelius G Derrett 14  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Grandson Blacksmith

On the 1851 census Cornelius' relationship is given as son to Charlotte. The four females are given as her daughters. Charlotte was a widow.

On the 1861 census the grandson relationship maybe a confusion, as Charlotte senior was absent - a pike keeper in Elmstone Hardwicke! In 1871 Charlotte is back in Cheltenham with her unmarried daughter Charlotte and granddaughter aged 7 Clara Herbert born Cheltenham.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk