Author Topic: "MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence.....UPDATED and none the wiser  (Read 21422 times)

Offline Tiffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "MISSING" Cornelius George Lawrence.....UPDATED and none the wiser
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 January 06 13:12 GMT (UK) »
ONLY ME!!!!

Dont' know what info you would get from death cert but have found a Clara Herbert's death aged 39 years in 1903 and your Clara was 36 on 1901 census.  Don't want to exhaust your family tree funds but it is a Cheltenham death September Quarter Vol 6a - just a thought

Tiffy
Cawley(sidmouth)Capon(mile end) Forty(gloucester/london)Lewis(wherwell/leatherhead)Walstow(nottingham/plumstead/woolwich

Offline Tiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caz, only a couple of days to go for your certificate and I'm still intrigued - have still been trawling through the census looking for Matilda or Ann but thought I would have a friendly bet with you on Clara.  Hopefully the certificate you get is HER and if it is, will bet that she is Elizabeth's daughter, how about that then!!!!

regs

Tiffylynne
Cawley(sidmouth)Capon(mile end) Forty(gloucester/london)Lewis(wherwell/leatherhead)Walstow(nottingham/plumstead/woolwich

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Morning Lynne, hopefully Cornelius George Lawrence marraige cert will turn up tomorrow or friday, then when that turns up i know Clara's birth cert will (should) be the next day....as for bets...im staying out of this one... LoL, i reckon she could be ANYONES daughter, nothing amazes me with my tree anymore, i've hardly got any straight forward families....my poor old Gt Gt Grandad Cornelius George Lawrence being put down as SON to his Grandmother on 1 census...GRANDSON to his mother on another census.....and his mother disappears off the face of the earth after (i think) 1861 and a couple of Aunties cant be found.
Cornelius even marries his neighbours wife after his 1st wife sarah dies.
I just hope that Clara's birth cert has a mothers name that i know on it...ie:  Anne or Matilda.....or Elizabeth or Charlottes.

We wait and see !!!!!!! :o

CAZ
DEVON : Gillard,Horn,Powlesland,Cooper,Crocker,Mallett,Branch
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett
WORCESTERSHIRE : James, Wheatcroft

Offline Tiffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Certainly seems that the girls were not the marrying kind.  With no records findable for Ann or Matilda getting married and Charlotte and Elizabeth and also Clara all remaining single.  Have only checked a few Ann Derrett deaths on Ancestry, but the few I have looked at give her age at time of death far far too old, but possibilities Ann and Matilda could have died between the two censuses.  Anyway if I come across any more news will write and wait to hear results of your cert.  I suppose my last message re Clara's death certificate won't put further light on her parentage will it.

Tiffylynne

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne, i would'nt have thought that Clara's death cert would shed any further light on her, see what her birth cert throws at us...LoL...i've not ordered her death cert for now.

CAZ
GLOUCESTERSHIRE : Hanks,Pratt,Bowen,Hall,Compton,Lawrence,Morris,Williams, Izard,Dancey,Derrett

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 January 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Morning Lynne..............well what can i say  :o , i've got Cornelius George Lawrence marraige cert and Clara Matilda Herbert birth cert this morning.

Clara Matilda Herbert was born 25-1-1864, the address looks like 13 White Hart? Street, Cheltenham...Father : William Herbert...Mother : ANN Herbert, formerly Derrett.

NOW for the twist in Cornelius George Lawrence marraige cert...on his birth cert there was no father listed.

Cornelius George Lawrence & Sarah Ann Compton married 19-7-1869, Cheltenham. His father is listed as being William Lawrence a Labourer, witnesses were Alfred James Arundell (dont know the name) & Charlotte Derrett (his Auntie OR Grandmother)

SO, why was'nt his father down on his Birth Cert but on his Marraige Cert......his grandmother "Charlotte" was a "Lawrence" before she married George Derrett and she had Cornelius's mum Matilda Lawrence before she married George........................

You dont think there was some "interbreeding" going on here and thats why on the 1851 census Cornelius is down as Brother to his Mother, and on the 1861 (i think) census he's down as Grandson to his mother !!!  :o

Im more confused now than i was before, i think i would have preferred it if his father was'nt put down on his marraige cert.

What's your thoughts on this now then !!!!

CAZ   :-\

ps, hope the above made sense, i know what i was trying to say but putting it down and making sense was somethng else

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 January 06 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i still cant find the marraige between Ann derrett and William Herbert, and yet i can find them from 1871 census to 1901 with other children.

CAZ

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 January 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Cornelius would certainly on his marriage, not wish to show he was illegitimate if he could help it, so he would need a father with the same surname as himself. Then it would be up to him what name he might give his 'father' as a first name, or that might in fact be his father's first name.

Have you looked for Ann Derrett's marriage on 1837online. FreeBMD has poorish coverage for marriages in the early 1860s.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/progressM.shtml

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline caroline hammill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 January 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda, no i've not looked on 1837 for their marraige, im afraid i dont have any credits for that site. I'll just keep checking freebmd everytime its updated.
As for Cornelius George Lawrence's father being on his marraige cert and not his birth cert....are you saying that he could have made a father up for his marraige cert....i did'nt think that was possible or allowed....or am i having a thick moment and reading that bit wrong...LoL

CAZ   ;D