Author Topic: London Traveller Sites  (Read 8131 times)

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
Re: London Traveller Sites
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Here is Jane Jones (seated) with her daughter Julia Munday (aged 14) before her wedding. Just to see if you can see a family resemblance - apologies for the poor quality.
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:
ANDERSON, KILLOUGH, MACCORMACK, MACROBERTS, MORTON, MOORE, WALLACE

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 March 09 21:01 GMT (UK) »
hi, honey-roma88. just browsing, why don't you see if the restorers on the photographic restoration can do a cleanup of your photo, they are amazing and your photo looks really interesting. john.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Karl Wiggins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 March 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Just come across this site. I’m not convinced that my great-grandmother, MARTHA SUMMERS, had Gypsy blood in her at all, although I’m told she “had a presence about her” and that she “had the look,” in that her eyes would turn fierce and intense when angered. Martha, it would appear, was quite daunting

She was born in Notting Dale in (I think) 1874 and her father (my great-great-grandfather), Benjamin Summers, was a coachbuilder. The 1881 census noted many Travellers still living in caravans in Notting Dale.

As soon as the sun went down in the winter months it’s reported that this was Carnival Time, when it was “thronged like a fair … in the side streets were side shows including vendors of patent medicine and itinerant musicians.” Dogfights were commonplace, as were early morning bare-knuckle fights, one of which resulted in a local Gypsy being tried for murder.

If Martha had Gypsy blood in her, who knows? But this was the atmosphere my great-grandmother was born into. She had eleven brothers and sisters, their birthdates spanning 22 years, seven older siblings and four younger, but even though my own father spent years studying the family tree and, indeed, wrote two books on genealogy, my great-grandfather’s lineage remains a mystery. It just stops at his own grandparents (my great-great-great-grandfather). We’ve never been able to trace the Summers family further back than that. Certainly, as mentioned, Benjamin Summers, who married a girl from Bethnal Green, was a coachbuilder, and he himself had nine brothers and sisters. His father was also a coachbuilder, but all we know about his father was that he was known as William, and his wife was called Ann. And that’s it.

With eleven brothers and sisters, plus nine uncles and aunts and I can’t imagine how many cousins, there’s no doubt they would have been a formidable family with close links to the indigenous yet itinerant Gypsy composition of the neighbourhood, even more so through Benjamin’s work as a coachbuilder.

By the time my great-grandmother, Martha, was twenty several houses for ‘Ladies of the night’ had opened in the area, charging roughly a shilling from evening until mid-morning, but I’ve a feeling she’d moved a mile or two down the road to Kensal Green by this time, although that area itself was suffering huge social problems of its own at the time and, let’s face it, still is.

Offline Karl Wiggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 March 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Anybody heard of anybody called Summers from Notting Dale in the late 1880s? My great-great-grandfather, Benjamin Summers, was a coach builder, and my great-grandmother, Martha Summers, was born in (I think) Mary Place in (I think) 1874

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have not come across the name associated with Travellers myself but according to the celtic travellers the name does appear as sometimes being the surname of Travellers though mainly from Norfolk...SUMMERS (Norfolk) (Gypsies Passing Through),If you could give us a few more details and age range we could perhaps see if we can find other occupations of the family and see if there were any likely Travellers amongst them?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Martha's maiden name would be helpful and DOB??
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country