Author Topic: Memorial Inscription's Caputh Graveyard  (Read 47513 times)

Offline Adrianne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscription's Caputh Graveyard
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelina,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm afraid that's about all I have at the end of that branch. I have info on John as an adult but as to where he was from ... I have his apprenticeship papers from Perth as I mentioned before, which mention "son of William Chalmers in Wester Caputh" and there's a James Chalmers on it paying the stamp duty. That's it. I think I may have come to a dead end  :(

I have done some research into Wester Caputh and have found a Chalmers family living there in the early 1800's but I believe my John and William, if related,  must be from the previous generation.

Thanks anyway

Adrianne
Australia- Morris Hicks
Lancashire- Chalmers Lingard Hawkesworth Callan
Kent- Godden Wildish
Cornwall- Hicks
Devon- Baker
Lanarkshire- Allan Finlayson Hamilton Hendry Ingram Reid Scott Semple Stark Thomson Watson Wilson
Renfrewshire- Dryburn Harley Nisbet Pratt Dunlop
Dumfriesshire- Henderson Wright
Argyll- Campbell McLean
Caithness- Cameron
Angus- Tasker
Ayrshire- Torrance Wallace Kennedy
Perthshire- Hendry Duncan McIntosh Chalmers
Ireland- Dunlop Harley Edgar McCallum Bond Entwistle

Offline Bluey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Evelina,

I am wondering if you would mind looking in the Caputh MI's please, for any persons by the surname BORRIE (also spelt BORRY). I am trying to find the burial place of my ancestors William BORRY and hs wife Marjorie McCRA (aka Margaret or May or Mary McCRAW). They were married in Caputh in 1791. I've not been able to find their year of death or mention of them after 1802 with the birth of their last child, so now I am clutching at straws.

Regards
Barry Howard.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry, Sorry no William or Majorie in Caputh.  Borrie names in Caputh Jessie died 1908 wife of Alexander Robertson.  Helen Borrie died 1905 wife of John Melvin.  Donald Borrie died 1839, James his son died 1879, his son David died 1879 and Donald's son David died 1885.  Margaret Borrie died 1869 wife of William Clark.

Hope some slot into your family, if they do let me know and I will give you full details., cheers Evelyn.
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline Bluey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Evelina,
I appreciate the lookup very much. The Borries you mention do not strike a chord with me at this time. Can you tell me if there are MI's for Dunkeld, Little Dunkeld, Dowally and Moneydie? Some of these places are mentioned in the births of my Borrie children. When their three boys grew they moved to the Isle of Mull. They were all gardener's by occupation as was their father William. I have found nothing to suggest the parents went to Mull as well, so I keep looking for them in the Dunkeld area.

Regards,
Barry. 

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry Barry, I don't have the MI's for the other places you mention.  Have you tried the Tay Valley Family History Group to see if they have them.  Good luck in your quest, cheers Evelina.
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline allanric

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 03 September 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelina

I am looking for any Allan or Scott.

An earlier post mentioned an Ann Scott, wife of a J.D. Allan, who I believe are my great great grandparents. I expect there might be a few Allans and more than one Scott though.

Thanks in advance

regards

Richard

Offline Trudito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with information on the Robertson family - Craig of Stenton at Caputh.  Donald (1806-1857) wife Margaret (1810-1890) eldest son Richard B left for New Zealand, other brothers were Peter 1852, Alexander 1840 James 1842 and Donald (1846)

There were also daughters Elizabeth and Margaret. Daughter Susan married a Dow.    Thanks    Jem

Yes I have info on the Robertsons at Craig of Stenton at Caputh and also on descendants of Richard B who went to New Zealand. Also I have info on Daughter Susan who married a Dow.

Offline Trudito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have info on the Robertsons and the Dows (not to hand at the moment) from Caputh.
I'm new to this though!

Offline Mike Banks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 11 July 13 07:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find missing information i.e. birth and marriage extracts or census information to try and link my ancestor James Scott born 26th February 1764 in Caputh with the Gravestone of John Skoots wife Mary Suter (died February 1662) which is embedded in the Caputh Churchyard wall. In 1990 I researched the family with my mother at the General Register Office in Edinburgh but only found records as far back as James's extract of birth.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You