Author Topic: Berkshire Baptism  (Read 4566 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi JC,  I found Eleanor Walsh (now a widow)  with her sister in the 1901 Census.
Sister was Sarah Mc Ivor (and other versions of the name,) luckily Sarah never married so it was a case of trawling through the Mc's names to 1841.. I cannot actually confirm that I am dead right, but I'm 99% sure, as I also found Felix and Sarah on the 1841 with daughters  Sarah and another sister who was also down as being born in Clackton( I forget her name),

In fact I wondered if indeed it was her ,( but had she  just kept the name Ellen  when she first went to live with Walsh )  as there was no Eleanor or Ellen on the census,  I don't know where she was if that wasen't her ?

Then I also discovered a marriage of Eleanor McKever  to an  Edwin Miles, in  o.n.d 1850 , but by the time of the 1851  census she was with Walsh, I couldn't find a death of this Miles, maybe she left him  and never got divorced !!
 All of this  clinched it for me, as you will see she put the Miles in their children's names...

I also found a Felix McEver on Family Search  (Irish)  stating he was born in Derry.  I really think there was a lot of fibbing went on in this lot!! they did my head in!!

JC, This is not my own family history but that of a family friend, who doesen't understand Genalogy at all ,yet she was thrilled at all  I had found out , but like all other non- dedicated  genealogists wasen't too keen on spending any money, so one can only do their best and thats what I did.

I'm not too sure now about the Elizabeth Clayton as I have no notes here now to confirm anything as I gave them all to Jennie,  this is  all just off the top of my head...   Hope this clarifies things for you, and many thanks for your dedicated interest...  Regards,Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
   JC, just an after thought , most of this took place in Yarmouth, so me-thinks that's the place that would unfold the goings on of this family...

I would have gone into this a lot more  had it been my own ancestry, but I spent  all the Winter  month,s on Jennies lot,  she was satisfied with what I found... Now to get on with my own again.. Cheers Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
no probs Dolly... I think your friend is probably very happy with what you managed to find for her. I expect she is likely to be at the end of the English road anyway, I did wonder about an Irish connection when there was a lack of real evidence.  The first marriage may have taken place there too. 

I agree Gt Yarnmouth would be the most likely place to unravel the mystery of the first Ellen Walsh.

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dawnashep

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I have just registered on this forum.  I am a great great grand-daughter of Eleanor McKever so I have been researching this family intensively.  Eleanor is listed on various censuses as Eleanor and Ellen. Her husband John Walsh is an enigma.  I have several BDM certs for the family and he is listed under several aliases - John Edwin Miles Walsh, John Edwin James Miles Walsh, Edwin Miles Walsh.  He was originally married to Frances (Fanny) Walsh and they seemed to rove over the country.  The first trace I have is Frome, Wiltshire and I have found that Edwin Miles Walsh was sent to prison for 1 year for indecent assault.  So, perhaps that prompted the name change.  Eleanor's father Felix was a soldier in the 42 Regiment of Foot in the Peninsular Wars, fighting for Wellington and against (of course) Napolean.  He was commended for his bravery and unfortunately sustained a musket shot to his body which invalided him out of service, so he missed Waterloo.  I have documentation obtained from the National Archive which is easily obtainable.  Unfortunately, I can't go back any further on the McKever trail.  As for Dolly's assertion that "there was a lot of fibbing in this lot", Felix was from Derry which is completely true.  The only fibber was John (Edwin James Miles) Walsh and I think the above crime would explain why.  I have my family tree on GenesReunited.co.uk if anyone is interested.