Author Topic: Thomas Cooper  (Read 2479 times)

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Cooper
« on: Saturday 22 March 08 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone throw any light on the family of Thomas Cooper, born Kempston, Beds 1692, died Kempston 1742?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cooper
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you've seen the baptisms on the IGI. How sure are you that it was the Thomas baptised on 16 Apr 1692, son of Thomas, who was buried on 7 Apr 1742? As opposed to the one buried on 15 Nov 1736.

What else do you know about him - wife, children etc?

I have 300+ Coopers from Beds in my tree, going back to 1450, but none of them were from Kempston

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 08 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response.  I'm afraid I always treat the IGI with great caution, and prefer to work with original records.  Consequently my info about Coopers comes from the original Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers for Kempston.  From these it seems clear that the Thomas Cooper buried in 1736 was in fact the fathwer of the Thomas buried in 1742.  The former is described as "Thomas Cooper Senr" with occupation noted as "Victuallar".  He, along with other members of the family line, is often referred to in the registers as "Cooper alias Farrer".  I'm really after getting back beyond this Thomas, but so far have had no success!  Any suggestions?  Neither can I find any hints as to why the family carried the "alias Farrer" tag.  Again, any help from anyone out there would be welcome.

Thus I think it is possible to reconstruct the family thus:-

Thomas Cooper Senr (alias Farrer) married Elizabeth (unknown), who died in 1736.  They had the following children:  Mary (b 1683); Elizabeth (b 1686); Sarah (b 1687- and assumed dead before 1694); John (b 1689- and assumed dead before 1697); Thomas (b 1690, and assumed died before 1692); Thomas b 1692- d 1742); Sarah (b 1694); John (b 1697- d 1700); Ann (b 1699- d 1699); William (b 1702- d 1703).

The Thomas Cooper born in 1692 married Mary (unknown), who died in 1744.  They had the following children:  John ("alias Farrer" b 1716- d 1782); Elizabeth (b 1717); Thomas (b 1724- d 1762); Jones (sic!)(b 1726- d 1731)

My branch of the family stems from the Thomas (1724-1762).  Hia son, another Thomas (1751-1801) was born in Houghton Conquest, as was, in turn, his son William (1779-1861).  The family then appears to have moved to Wilshampstead, where my gt-gt-grandfather and gt-grandfather were born.

There are lots of Coopers in Bedfordshire, aren't there?  All very confusing.  I don't suppose you have any leads on the Houghton Conquest or Wilstead lot do you?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the IGI needs to treated with caution, but particularly for Bedfordshire, extracted entries are reliable. Member submissions are all highly suspect!

If you've been looking at the adjacent Elizabeth Partridge thread, John and I have been discussing the 1671 Hearth Tax return. There was only one Cooper in Kempston - John who had one hearth. He was discharged by certificate ie he was too poor to pay the tax. There was no Farrer in Kempston.

The IGI has an entry taken from the transcript produced by BLARS' predecessor, of a birth at Kempston of Thomas Cooper or Farrer on 7 Feb 1658 who looks to be your Thomas Cooper or Farrer snr. Unfortunately there's no father mentioned. But there's also a birth of Mary Cooper or Farrer on 21 Dec 1654 where the father is John Cooper or Farrer. Whilst there's an Ann Cooper daughter of Nicholas born 1 May 1655 there's no mention of the "or Farrer" so I think it reasonable to assume that Thomas' father was John rather than Nicholas. Presumably these entries were made during the commonwealth period, hence birth rather than baptism

My Coopers were from Henlow, Arlesey, Clifton and Stondon. None of them ventured as far afield as Wilstead, let alone Houghton Conquest!

I think Cathy who frequents this list may know a bit about the Wilstead lot.

Regards

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks - that's got me back one further generation................