Author Topic: Belford information  (Read 1754 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Belford information
« on: Sunday 23 March 08 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to a wonderful volunteer, I was able to move this Clazey line back to 1841 Census.   John O. Clazey was 15 and an apprentice in the household of Benjamin Patrick...he had a mill.    His mother and another brother, James O. Clazey are in Ford Moss where James was a schoolmaster.  In 1841, a third brother and the oldest, George O. Clazey arrived in New York State, US and was a tailor.

I am still unable to locate a marriage  of John Clazey and Isabella Oswald but George was baptized in 1815, Berwick-Upon Tweed at Holy Trinity.   According to a letter left by Isabella in 1874, John "left" when the boys were very young and these were unable to operate the mill...have been unable to find any record of John's death or a possible burial site!!  So...finding John O. Clazey, 15 in Belford...maybe a place to look?  Can find nothing about any Mill where John Clazey might have been working or operating...

I do know that John Clazey was a son of James Clazey and Helen Kerr.  John was baptized in Longformacus and this was confirmed on the original marriage certificate which a descendent of John O. Clazey has...

James and Helen and other family members are buried in Chirnside...no John...

This brick wall has had the two of us looking stumped for years...one has two trunks that belonged to Isabella...and she has spent hours pouring through scraps of paper looking for some clues to no avail...

Any help appreciated.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Belford information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Sharon,

In the 1827 edition of the Parson & White trade directory, in the FORD section, an entry reads..... Thomas Patrick, Ford Moss, steward of Ford Colliery.

Also three Ford millers, but none name Patrick and none listed for as at Ford Moss.

Where is "Longformacus" ?

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Michael,

Longformacus is in Scotland, just north-west of Duns: here's a map LONGFORMACUS  (I've just learnt how to do that - clever isn't it?)

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 March 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the non conformist church registers?   There was a church of Scotland one in Belford as one of my more distant relatives, Marcus Dods, was the minister there.
Andrea

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the responses!!  The 1841 Census lists a Benjamin Patrick as head of the household where John Clazey, 15 is living - maybe related to Thomas?

James and Helen Kerr Clazey seemed to have moved between various towns in Berwickshire...if I have found the right family, Isabella Oswald (married John Clazey) father was a baker.  He was George...and after his first wife died...and can only find a "barbara" with no last name, his second wife was from Berwickshire...in a location where there were Clazeys living...I have speculated that perhaps Isabella met him there... John and Isabella seemed to move as well...oldest son baptized in Berwick-Upon-Tweed and there were Oswalds there who were millers...it appears a daughter, Isabella, died there as well.  The last two boys were baptized in Etal...

Back to Ford!!

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.