Author Topic: Inns in LLanelly /Clydach  (Read 10765 times)

Offline RBMHORRELL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inns in LLanelly /Clydach
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Pritchard
That's really interesting.
My great great grandfather was Robert Blake Mabley Horrell (sometimes spelled Mabley, sometimes Mably) from Cardiff, born in 1879.  His father was Charles Horrell (a house painter) and his mother Caroline Jane Mably.  His birth certificate shows them living in Coniber Road.
Robert Blake Mabley Horrell was a french polisher and married Jeannette Butler in 1906 in Birmingham.  They had two daughters, Mabel and Win.  Mabel is my great grandmother.  I know that Robert also had a sister called Mabel and several other brothers and sisters I believe.
What information do you have?  It seems far too much of a coincidence with such an unusual collection of names for them not to be linked in some way.

Offline pritchard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Horrell.My research so far shows Caroline Jane Mably married Charles Horrell in Newport on the 29/6/1874.[Charles shown on certoficate as a painter and decorater] Her mother was Mary Blake Mably formerley Cound father Robert Blake Mably[shipwright]
She died at Pendine st 10/1/1941[although for most of their lives lived at12 Blackstone st.They are buried at Cathays cemetary Cardiff]

In the census of 1901 Caroline and Charles are shown with 9 children[8 boys and 1 girl]  One of them named Charles B.and my line of research Edwin John who was my grand father.

Possibly Carles B is your line and he may have added the Mably at a latter date.

Hope this helps but perhaps his birth cert.will show more- Incidentally his age shown in the 1901 census ties up with his birth date.

Offline calgwales

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Cuckoo
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennyrob.
Incidentally locally Station Rd was called "The Cuckoo"

I have a person in my ancestry that was born in "Cuckoo's Nest R.S.D"  according to the birth certificate.  Is this somewhere near Clydach?

My ancestors also lived in Cuckoos Nest Llanelly in 1881. Please see below, hope it is useful to you.

'"{HO be sold, pursuant to a Decree of the High Court of
ll. Chancery, made in a cause of Lloyd v. Baker, with
the approbation of the Vice-Chancellor Sir John Stuart, in
two lots, by Mr. Henry Watkin Harris, the person appointed
by the said Judge, at the Westgate Hotel, Newport, in the
county of Monmouth, on Wednesday, the 1st day of March
1871, at two o'clock in the afternoon precisely:—
Lot 2. A freehold farm, buildings, and cottage at Clydock,
in the parish of Llanelly, Brcconshire, containing about 8
acres, called the Cuckoo's Nest, in the occupation of Mr.
William Harris.
Both lots were late the property of Mrs. Sarah Williams,
Widow, late of Tredcgar, Monmouthshire, deceased.
Particulars may be had (gratis) of Messro. Sharp and
•Ullithorne, Solicitors, No. 1, Field-court, Gray's-inn ; Mr.
S. Edwards, Solicitor, No. 25, Lincoln's-inn-fields; and
Messrs. Torr and Co., Solicitors, Bedford-row, London; and
-of Messrs. Simons and Flews, Solicitors, Church-street,

Offline RBMHORRELL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, very useful.
It looks as though my GG Grandfather Robert Blake Mably Horrell, was an older brother of Edwin John's.  On the census that you have of 1901 is Robert shown?  Although he would have been 22 at the time, so prossibly no longer living at home?
Was the sister called Mabel? 
Incidentally, my GG Grandmother spoke of an Admiral Blake who was an ancestor, although no one in the family was allowed to speak of him for some reason, so little more is known.  I don't know if you ever heard that?

Offline pritchard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Horrell.  Many thanks for that.  Yes, Robert was the elder brother.In the 1891 census he is shown as being 11 years old and Edwin John 8.Mable is also shown as an 6 year old.
In the 1901 census Robert is not listed[possible had left home] but Mabel is shown as an 17 year old and working as a domestic servant.

Thanks for the info on Admiral Blake.Hadn't heard of this but see from google that he was quite a prominent figure and if it is the right one he has a museum dedicated to him in Bridgewater Somerset.

I have researched the Mably family back to the 16/17th century living in the Padstow area of Cornwall and a great number of them were buried in St Enodocs Church which is well worth a visit if your live near enough.

Incidentally we may have a royal connection!!!???.If you go to www.maberley.name/queen you will see the possible connection.[I always knew we had blue blood in our veins somewhere]!!??

Hope this helps.