Author Topic: Selby  (Read 3710 times)

Offline sudee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Selby
« on: Monday 24 March 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I have an address for my grandfather ELLIS BROOKS on his wedding certificate of 1915 at Selby parish church.  It is 31 Butler Street. However I cannot find this address on any modern map.  Has the street disappeared and if so is there any chance of my finding a photograph of the street as it was at that time?
Any help appreciated.
Snowdon/Snowden Northumberland/Cumberland
Brook(s) Suffolk
Cook(e Lincolnshire
Malone Lancashire Northumberland Northern Ireland

Offline Edmund

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Selby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 17:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a Buller Street in Selby. Looks like victorian terraces. Is the certificate a GRO copy or a local one?
Try posting on the North Riding board .

Ed.

Offline sudee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Edmund
Thank you so much.  I think you have solved my problem.  Both my certificates are copies and I have misread the copies as Butler Street. I shall try to find some photos of the street.  Do you know if it is still standing?
Thanks again
Delia
Brook(s) Suffolk
Cook(e Lincolnshire

Offline Edmund

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Had a look on MSN maps or Google maps aerial views and it all looks intact still.

Ed,

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 May 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I almost missed this post. Buller Street is still standing- I'd be happy to take some pictures and send them on if you like.
I have a copy of the 1940 Selby almanac [which is effectively a street directory] and the only person that might fit the bill in there is an E H Brook, then living at 14 Park Street. Happy to send a picture of that, too if you like.
hth, Jacky
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline sudee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Jackie
Thank you so much for your offer of a photograph. I live in London and am unlikely to visit Selby in the near future. My grandparents Ellis Edward Brook and his wife Susan(nee Cook) lived at 41 Buller Street in 1915 and my mother Gwendoline was born the following year while they were living there. My grandfather worked as a gas stoker at the Ardol works in 1916 on war work.
I have found him living in Hull in 1929 . He is listed in Kelly's
E & N Ridings of Yorks Directory as a Taxi proprieter so he would not be In Selby around 1941. I know he was in Hull during the war.
I have not been able to find any references to the family after 1916 as I believe the electoral registers and trade directories for Selby are at Wakefield
Best wishes Delia
Brook(s) Suffolk
Cook(e Lincolnshire

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 07:31 BST (UK) »
Delia, I'll be going past Buller Street this morning, so I'll take my camera along. If you pm your email address to me, I'll mail a picture this evening. Do let me know if there's anything else local I can do for you ;) Jacky

Offline sudee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 08:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Jackie
Thank you so much for your offer.  I am a member of the Soc of Genealogists and visit regularly, so maybe I can do something for you too. My email address is deliamontlake@tesco.net. Do you have access to any trade directories for Selby between 1916 and 1929?  I wonder when my grandfather started his taxi business.
Thanks again
Delia
Brook(s) Suffolk
Cook(e Lincolnshire

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Delia, I'm sorry, I don't know of local trade directories for that period, but I can ask a man who might ;)
I managed to get a couple of pictures this morning - will mail them to you tonight.  You'll be pleased to know the house looks well cared for ;) I'll mark the mail Buller Street, so you know it's safe to open attachments. Will get back to you if I can find out about the taxi firm, Jacky