Author Topic: KerryB's Second Chance Scavenger Hunt. Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 33324 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
KerryB's Second Chance Scavenger Hunt. Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« on: Tuesday 25 March 08 12:56 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to KerryB's Second Chance Scavenger Hunt.   This is a very interesting one and I'm sure you'll get your teeth into it well and truly.   It appears a little complicated at first, but I know you'll work it all out and find heaps of information.

So here it is.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Hi Guys

I’ve got a nice easy one here, haha!  It’s not Traies and its not Baldwins.

My gran’s letters written in the 1930s to grandad (whilst courting) mention some relatives that I would love to fit into the tree.  I think because of the names they are her maternal relatives, seem to fit the pattern of names but it would be interesting to see if we can fill in the details for 2 generations of the Payne family with missing census returns and spouses, children etc.

The relatives that are mentioned are Uncle Maurice, Auntie Maggie, Auntie Jennie, Cousin Alice, Cousin Winnie and an Olive.  There is also an Uncle Arthur.  The letters are written from Warwick and Uncle Maurice worked at the Morris Car works in Coventry.

Gran’s mother was Emily Payne born 1883 in Lingfield, Surrey and died 1950 in Lingfield. 

Her siblings were:

Henry Payne born 1867, Lingfield, married Alice Steer in 1891, East Grinstead and was a bricklayer, 1871 Lingfield, with parents, 1881 Lingfield with parents      
Alice Payne born 1869, Lingfield, 1871 Lingfield with parents, 1881 Lingfield with parents      
Martha Payne born 1871, I was told she might have died 1893?   1871 Lingfield with parents, 1881, Lingfield with parents, 1891 Lingfield as housemaid, domestic   
Spencer Payne born 1874, also Bricklayer and married Amy Jane Nash in 1896, Brighton, Sussex, 1881 Lingfield with parents, 1891 Lingfield was bricklayer labourer   
Clara Payne born 1876, Lingfield, 1881 Lingfield with parents      
John Payne born 1878, Lingfield, married Florence Agnes Nash in 1899, Godstone, Surrey, 1881 Lingfield with parents, 1891 Lingfield with parents   
Jane Payne born 1881, Lingfield, 1881 Lingfield with parents, 1891 Lingfield with parents   
Emily (great grandmother) for which I have details            
Alfred Payne born 1887 Grocer and Baker, 1891 Lingfield with parents, 1901 Lingfield with parents
Maurice Payne born 1890, Lingfield, did he move to Coventry area?, 1891   Lingfield with parents, 1901 Lingfield with parents
Frank Payne born 1894, Lingfield, 1901 Lingfield with parents

Parents were John 1844 to 1925 and Jane Payne, 1847 to 1930 both in Lingfield.

So did any of this lot move away to Warwick and can we fill in some of the missing details for them?  I have not actually confirmed any of their dates of birth,  all come from census returns. Some of the other details might be a bit difficult because we don’t access
to 1911 yet but I am sure that some information can be found.

When you get bored of that generation the previous generation were:
Elizabeth Payne born 1836 in Lingfield, appears on 1841 census in Lingfield
George Payne born 1838 in Lingfield, appears on 1841, Lingfield, 1851, Lingfield, 1861 Lingfield, 1871, Lingfield, Ag Lab. 
Sarah Payne born 1841 in Lingfield, appears on 1851, Lingfield
Emma Payne born 1849 in Lingfield, appears on 1851, Lingfield and 1861, Lingfield
John Payne born 1884 as above and I have details for him.

Parents were:
John Payne born 1807, Lingfield, died 1890  and Sarah Kesterton 1810 to 1877, Lingfield.

Hope I’m not being cheeky but I never seem to get time to investigate siblings enough!!

Thank you. 

Kerry
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KerryB's Second Chance Scavenger Hunt. Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:06 GMT (UK) »
bookmarking  ;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Me too bookmarking  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »

I don't have to........     ;) ;) ;D ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Henry Payne born 1867, Lingfield, married Alice Steer in 1891, East Grinstead and was a bricklayer, 1871 Lingfield, with parents, 1881 Lingfield with parents 

1901 RG13 929 20 31
65 Buckingham Place Brighton

Henry Payne head  35 Bricklayer b. Lingfield
Alice wife 35 b. do.
Elise 9 dau b. do.
Violet 3 dau. b. Godstone
Agatha Siser 18 sister laundress washer b. lingfield

oooh my father was born at Buckingham Place Brighton appranetyl it was then the maternity hosptial or soemthing, wil have him to elaborate more tonight

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Toni's off to a good start.

And now for the first mystery - who's Agatha?

Emily my great grand mother was born 1883 and I have her as a servant in Dormans Park in the 1901. 

So is Agatha an extra sister I don't know about??

Oh hang on Siser - does that mean she was a Steer!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:32 GMT (UK) »
i couldnt make out her surname its transcribed as Sver

re Alice Payne b. 1871 i think she maybe here in 1891
RG12 788 102 12
F.... Farm
John Payne head 37 or 39 gardener b. Leicester
Eliza wife 44 b. Norwich
George H son 13 b. Surrey
Alice E Payne visitor 20 b. do.

now the pob have been crossed thorugh and then new pob added ??? very strange if you ask me!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881, RG11/1059 Folio 65 Page 3, Lingfield.

Alice Steer, aged 16,  and parents, William and Annie,  and younger sister Agatha, aged 8

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
oops i think i may have ALice wrong, if she was b. 1869 and not 1871 as i though then shes most likely to be the servant in Corydon in 1891 and i think she appears as a servant in 1901 too?? hang on will go back and get refs