Author Topic: 1803 Army of Reserve Index  (Read 3522 times)

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1803 Army of Reserve Index
« on: Tuesday 25 March 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

May I request a look up in your index for Edmund Vimpeny/Wimpenyb] - he would have been about 23 at the time and a butcher in Brighton

Many thanks
Sue

Moderator Comment - I believe this enquiry is directed at AMY K

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1803 Army of Reserve Index
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am not quite sure what AmyUK was offering.  I have the list for Sussex Militia 1803 Pevensey Rape. Northern Division.  No sign of the name in that.   Reading the blurb at the front it says that only the Pevensey Rape books survived, none of the others did so it would not cover Brighton anyway.
Andrea

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 05:58 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though your ancestor was a soldier in the Militia rather than a reservist.  It may help to know that Chichester Record office has a list of what were called "Sussex Deserters" which were in fact those from the local militia that failed that to turn up for the military exercises held during the summer months.  He may have been on that. 

Alternatively, if he was not army but navy, Chichester R O also have a list of part timers also from Brighton around that time who were called Sea Fencibles.

Roy G

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you Sillgen and Roy G for your responses.  I am sorry to be so long in replying - the computer decided to take a 'sickie'.

Sue