Author Topic: Brown  (Read 871 times)

Offline Jinxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brown
« on: Wednesday 26 March 08 07:52 GMT (UK) »
James Arthur Brown was my husbands grandfather, but doesnt appear to have wed his grandmother who was called Jane Oliver Brown (nee Fairless).
Jane was previously wed to Frederick Maughan Brown. and had at least 2 children by him....Frederick Maugahn (2nd) and Jane Oliver (2nd). I have a death for Frederick the 2nd in 1997. But who is James Arthur?
Brown - Warner - Pye - Nash - Eustace - Robinson - McMahon - Lightfoot - Berry - Fairless - Dziunka

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 08 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jinxy

Where did these events take place?  We can then move it to the appropriate board where you will have more chance of a response ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jinxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi
Jane was from South Sheilds originally and Frederick was from Newcastle.
She gave birth to John James in 1923 in Rochdale. Have just about given up with James Arthur :'(
Brown - Warner - Pye - Nash - Eustace - Robinson - McMahon - Lightfoot - Berry - Fairless - Dziunka

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hmm..

first marriage, Jane Oliver Fairless to Frederick Maughan Brown, 1900
children, Jane Oliver (1902) and Frederick Maughan (1906)

then

John J Brown in 1923 (mmn Fairless).

freebmd shows some other possiblities in the meantime - children surname Brown and mmn Fairless - Norman (1911) and Cecil (1913) in Newcastle. (Also a Thomas (1921) and Annie (1923) in Easington district, but I suspect these are from a different couple as otherwise Annie and John J overlap).

A Jane O Brown died aged 15 in 1918, Tynemouth district - could this be Jane Oliver Brown Jr? Frederick M. Brown died aged 49, Mar 1919, also Tynemouth - could this be her first husband?

Have you tried tracking John Arthur by occupation, or by the address given on John James' birth certificate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jinxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jorose

Thank you for your interest.... when you get stuck any little piece is great!  :)

the info on Jane Oliver and Frederick Maughan Browns marraige is correct.
also john J Browns birth in 1923.  (I have those 2 certs)

Are the other Brown/Fairless births 2 separate families or just one which moved from Newcastle to Easington dist?  If all the births are to the same couple then as you say they cant be MY pair.  (Quite a lot of Fairless families in the Newcasle and Sheilds area at that time).

However theres not many Jane O Fairless'  I think ours seems to be the only one (or 2 in this case)..... sadly the death in 1918 looks like it could be Jane Oliver jnr.  (just as a 'by the way.'...on one of the census' they were both listed as Jennie Oliver Brown.....just to add to the confusion).
And again its more than likely than the Frederick M who died in 1919 was Janes husband. He was 29 on his marraige cert in 1900, making him born in around 1871, so   aged 48or 49 at this death

I havent tried James Arthur Brown by occupation. He is listed as Municipal Labourer/Highways Dept. on Johns marraige cert (also 'deceased' by then).
Also I havent found out yet who else was living at the address in Rochdale with Jane at the time of Johns birth.   53 Newbold Street Rochdale (sub district Castleton).

I'm afraid for some reason I am unable to download the Adobe program which would allow me to access certain records... Very frustrating >:( If there is any chance than anyone out there could help that would be brilliant.  :-*
regards
jinxy