Author Topic: Orchard Family  (Read 14159 times)

Offline Kerilane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orchard Family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I had my doubts so rechecked what its says on my copy and it definitly says Father- James Orchard,Blacksmith.
Just out of interest who would have transposed the information and why would it have been done?

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
The mistake would have been down to human error.

Does it look as if the marriage certificate copy that you've got has been handwritten? If so, the mistake may have been made then - even though they should have rigorous checking procedures in place. I think they only produce a handwritten certificate when the original is not of sufficient quality to photocopy and still be legible.

At the actual time of the marriage, I'm not sure which comes first - the parish record entry for the marriage or the entry in the Register, or is it one and the same?

Either way, it seems pretty clear now that a mistake was made. Out of curiosity, what does it say on your copy for the occupation of Gideon's father? If it's basket maker, I think we have a case of someone somewhere along the line accidentally transposing the information.

By the way, I can't find any sign of the marriage between Maria Pettifer and Thomas Orchard either. Perhaps they never bothered.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
just to let you know that I have added the source details to the 1841 reference to James Orchard - I ommitted them earlier.

Also- just out of social history interest, whilst I can't find George and Eve Orchard, there is a Joseph Skerry, brazier (only 18 yrs- so perhaps Eve's brother) and other members of the Skerry family, including a Joseph snr, living in tents in Berkshire at: HO107; Piece 21; Book: 20;  Folio: 4; Page: 2
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am fairly sure that for a church wedding the entry in the church register is the one done at the time and the copy which is sent in for registration is done after,  so it does look as if somewhere along the line there is a transcription error.

Interesting that the Skerry's were also travellers - I wonder if we can't find George and Eve cos they are useing a different surname,  it seems this happened quite a bit with travellers back then.

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look at the Travellers section of rootschat- Orchards are mentioned but couldn't see this particular group.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit of a wild guess,  but based on approx dates and naming patterns there is a possible for the baptism of James Orchard s/o Charles & Mary 1788 at Old Sodbury in Glous (IGI)  unfortunatly I am a bit tied up for the next 4 or 5 days and I am not sure when I will get chance to check any further - but I thought I would post it so other folks can see.

:)

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kerilane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 March 08 08:39 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage certificate for Harriet it is all handwritten and Gideon's father is stated as a Blacksmith aswell,so maybe they were thinking about his father's profession and wrote the same down for James.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 March 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerilane,

That seems to be what's happened. It shouldn't have, but we're all human and the GRO do issue thousands of certificates a week, but it's nearly thrown us off the scent!!

Given that they're a family of travellers, you really didn't need the added obstacle!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Kerilane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 March 08 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I agree,it only takes 1 bit of wrong info to get completely lost.
If i wanted to have a look at the baptist records that was mentioned earlier in the posts where would i look?