Author Topic: Orchard Family  (Read 14136 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Orchard Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 15:23 GMT (UK) »

Ohhh that looks good Heywood

There is a burial for a Sarah Orchard aged 36 in 1832 so it looks as though James remarried,  interestingly there is also a burial in 1824 of a Jonathan Orchard aged 14 of Shelton Row,  which is the same address as the family at Mary Anns baptism in 1822.  As Harriet named her son Jonathan she might have been nameing him after her brother that died.

If Kerilane orders the marriage certificate and it gives Harriet's father as James a basket maker,  she will know if we are on the right track.

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kerilane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Harriet's marriage certificate to Gideon Davis in 1864 in Wallingford.
Witnessed by James and Martha Lamb.
Her father is James Orchard but it says he was a Blacksmith.
I also have a copy of Harriet's death certificate registered 18th February 1874,saying she was 60.
This is why we presumed she was born about 1814.
I also have a copy of Jonathon's birth certificate dated 9th December 1854 in Taynton,which is just outside Fulbrook.
Father's name is blank.
We did have a feeling Thomas may have come from a travelling family as his occupation has often been classed as Tinworker/Brazier/Journeyman.
Thomas lived in Fulbrook with his 1st wife Mary ann.Together they had alot of children,but Mary died in 1888.
On the 1891 census my great grandmother Maria Agnes Pettifer is living in the house as a visitor with her 3 children.In 1892 they have their 1st ( of many) children together.
Interestingly though i can't find a reference of their marriage.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hmm curious

the age at death could easily be out if the person giving the info wasn't sure,   but it is odd that she says her father was a smith,  unless looking at the 1841 that Heywood found,  if we make a guess that Charles Orchard was the grandfather (father of James) he was a smith - I wonder if she could have given her grandfathers occupation instead for some reason?

:-\

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
There's another Orchard marriage in Wallingford (St Mary) -

Oct 3 1842 George X Orchard - full age, bachelor, otp, sweep, s/o Joseph, basketmaker &
                  Eve X Sherry or Skerry - full age, spinster, otp, d/o Joseph, brazier.

I've also found Harriet's marriage entry in the Brightwell (St Agatha) PRs (must have been under the Wallingford Registration District?) -

20 Dec 1864 Gideon Davis - bachelor, 34,  tinker of Brightwell,  father Thomas Davis, blacksmith
                     Harriett Orchard - spinster, full age, of Brightwell,  father Joseph Orchard , basket maker

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,  I like the basket maker bit,   but are you sure it says Joseph?  I was hoping for a James

Sorry - modified - just realised I have the Brightwell registers and it does say JAMES ORCHARD basket maker

great ;D

Debbie

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - I stand corrected. Getting my Josephs and Jameses mixed up!  :-[

The George Orchard marriage in 1842 is father = Joseph, but the Harriett marriage in 1864 is definetly father = James.

I couldn't have accidentally found James's father, could I?

(Can I sit down now?!!  ;))

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh Jill I wasn't getting at you  :-[   please do sit down,  I just really wanted to make sure we had a James Basket maker to tie in with the baptism I found.  I think you may have found a brother rather than a father,  can you see George or Joseph in any of the census's (I can't)  I would like to know where they were born,  I can only find James in 1841 in Oxford and all we have from that is not born in the county

Debbie

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
That's okay,Debbie - I was only joking!

It seems strange that Kerilane's marriage certificate has James as a blacksmith whilst the parish register has him as a basket maker!? I wonder if it's down to someone copying the details from one register to another and making an error?

I have a copy marriage certificate obtained from the Registration Service which has been handwritten and the 2 father's details have been completely transposed. Human error!

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes mistakes do happen particularly when they are handwritten,  I have one with the occupation of the father given as farmer - he was actually a farrier

:)

Debbie