Author Topic: Tansey/Tanzy  (Read 31290 times)

Offline Yonker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tansey/Tanzy
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 03 October 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me out with the Gray Family of Norfolk/Suffolk.

Obadiah Gray married Ada Gray (his cousin) in 1894 in Mitford. He appears to have already had two other children by Mary named Olby and Jane.

I have his mother named as Mary (a widow in 1881 census)

Children of Obadiah Gray and Ada Gray (who was 19 year's his junior) are:
Lapolius Samuel born 1895
Verdi Archer born 1896
Pansey Leonora born 1898
Ivy Ellen born 1900
Mareillie born 1904
Leonard Ozery born 1908
Stanley Joseph born 1909
Begonia born 1909
and perhapse Maurice Edward born 1918.

Any help appreciated.

Gillian Allison

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Obadiah Grays mother was Gentee/Genty Gray aka Jenty Smith. bapt 1835 at Butterwick Lincs, she was a d/o Edward "No Name" Heron by his permanent wife, Rosa Lovell.

Offline Yonker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for last reply to my query.  I had made a mistake as to Obadiah's mother's name on the 1881 census. Her name on this census is Jane, but I find her named Jenty on the 1871 census.

Re the baptism of Genty/Jenty Gray in 1835. I have accessed this through Family search. This states her baptismal date as
29 Nov 1835
BUTTERWICK HOLLAND,LINCOLN,ENGLAND.  Parents named here are Father: Dezrey Gray and Eliza Herring.  I found the family on the 1851 Cenus as Orsary Gray and Eliza. Jane (Jenty) and her brother Samuel are also on this census. Samuel is the one who apparently married Ellen Dianna Gray and their child Ada (h) married her cousin Obadiah, Jenty's son.  All very confusing. Where do Edward and Rosa Lovell fit in?

Offline Yonker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for last reply to my query.  I had made a mistake as to Obadiah's mother's name on the 1881 census. Her name on this census is Jane, but I find her named Jenty on the 1871 census.

Re the baptism of Genty/Jenty Gray in 1835. I have accessed this through Family search. This states her baptismal date as
29 Nov 1835
BUTTERWICK HOLLAND,LINCOLN,ENGLAND.  Parents named here are Father: Dezrey Gray and Eliza Herring.  I found the family on the 1851 Cenus as Orsary Gray and Eliza. Jane (Jenty) and her brother Samuel are also on this census. Samuel is the one who apparently married Ellen Dianna Brown** and their child Ada (h) married her cousin Obadiah, Jenty's son.  All very confusing. Where do Edward and Rosa Lovell fit in?

**Sorry the surname was Brown not Gray

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Edward Heron (Herring Hearon etc) died at Tetford Lincs in 1831 with his supposed Cousin, Tyso Boswell, they are buried together at Tetford with a gravestone to this day. Story went that they stopped at Tetford on way to Horncastle fair (which would be accurate since their death date was 05.08.1831 and Horncastle fair was on late August every year) and that both men were killed when they entered a barn late at night in search of dry straw with which to keep their tents dry but were struck by lightening.  In these days for sure gypsies lived in bender tents rather than the later gypsy vardos (caravans).
Tyso Boswell and Edward Herons (and alternative spellings) grave still stands at Tetford, I have seen it.  They were struck by lightening as gravestone and local newspaper reports of the time can testify.
Both of these men are very important to gypsy lineage when it comes to the Midlands of England.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
Gentee Gray was bapt at Butterwick Lin in 1835 and she died 1918 as Jenty Smith and buried at Gorleston Cem Yarmouth under that name.
Obadiah Gray was the supposed son of Jenty/Gentee/Genti Gray by Charles Smith (no ofher info) but he was bapt as Obadiah Smith in 1856 At Ingham. Obadiah (Obi) Gray married Lavaina Smith d/o Nelus and Clara, and later he maried Ada Mabel Gray

Offline shakesandmax

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
I wondered if someone could help in giving some information re Caesar Boylin (if that is indeed his correct name).

I have been searching for him for a long tim ebut his name spellings often change and he never stays in one area for long.  I am decended through his son John so any info about him would be appreciated.

I found this thread and noticed he had been mentioned and I hoped someone could assist????

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 01 August 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Yes eliace was brother to cornelious and righteous twins and there was mosses eliace was my 2 x great grandad I've only just found out about the name mobbs ! Eliace married Amelia hurn /heron her and sage were sisters daughters of Edmund (Naibai) hurn /and serbarinsi buckland now I want to find out more about the name mobbs ?  :)

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 09 August 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
I think eliace Gray was the son of Salome boiling and William Gray I'm very confused as it seems everybody was married 2 or 3 times ! I can't keep up to them xx