Author Topic: Searching the cenus via a location  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Searching the cenus via a location
« on: Thursday 27 March 08 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The curious side of me is just wondering whether it's possible to search the census via a street name?

I live in a pretty old part of York, and just wondering if I can do a search for my street and see who  lived in my street and what they did?

Thanks.

Lee

Offline lavinia p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching the cenus via a location
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello LD,
Although I can't help you re an answer yet, I wanted to register my interest in doing this too, and I'm sure it was possible, or at least possible for a short period a few years back, maybe as genealogy on the web was just taking off. I know that I surfed with a friend for a fee and we could search street names/addresses.
Does anyone know if this is still possible, and if so, where? I have a feeling that it was about 2004/5, and perhaps one of the censuses had just been put online?
Thanks all, Lav P
THORNE in Stogumber/Williton, Somerset. VOWLES in Bristol. JOHN from Llancefyn, Pembs Wales, also Glamorgan. WILLMOTT (various spellings) from Bristol or Caerleon. CARTER from Clutton, Somerset. RESTON from Lancashire, Birkenhead. MORGAN from Islington, DAVIES from Pontypridd.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1881 Census you can search by streets

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Address searches for 1901 on http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Same on www.findmypast.com for 1841/61/71/81/91

both these sites are pay-to-view

on ancestry you would have to look through the enumeration districts for the street name and then trawl through the pages to find it.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:25 GMT (UK) »
on ancestry you would have to look through the enumeration districts for the street name and then trawl through the pages to find it.

Thats why I was finding it hard - I subscribe to ancestry!

Thanks for the answers.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Lee - if you're in a position to go to an archive/library/records office that has the York census on film or fiche, you may find that a local society has produced an index - those I've seen elsewhere tend to be in booklet form & list streets & surnames against the census reference, so you then look at the film/fiche for the right area. Much of this work was done before any censuses were put on the internet, so the more recent ones may not be indexed.

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 March 08 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

If you put the street on here, someone might help you ;)

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 March 08 12:36 GMT (UK) »
That would be amazing!

Well, I live at 11a Kyme Street, Bishophill, York. (11b is upstairs)

It's a 'converted' ground floor flat and we're led to believe that our flat has been built into and around some sort of tradesman's yard with perhaps the owner living upstairs? On our front facade you can still make out the old brickwork and the footpath has an old cobbled driveway, leading under our loving room floor!!!

With this is mind, I imagine the house number on the censuses would be 11 but obvioulsy, this is just conjecture.

If anyone can help it would be fascinating. :)

Please let me know if i need to start a new thread for this request.

Thanks,

Lee

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 March 08 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

11 Kyme Street
John Norminton? head wid 75 retired coachman Yorks Burythorne?
Charles    "         son u/m 46 saddler                      "    Norton
Emma       "         dau u/m 44                                   "      "

Rg12/ 3888
folio 139
page 32

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)