Author Topic: What does SNLR stand for in Naval Record  (Read 13958 times)

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does SNLR stand for in Naval Record
« on: Friday 28 March 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello  Does anyone now what SNLR stand for in Naval record please?
Essex: Boosey/Boozey; Leveridge; McAllister: Morley: Webb
Suffolk: Morley; Leveridge:Crowe; Barnard: Reeve: Webb: Cobb
Norfolk: Hunt, Hammond, Groome,King's Lynn;
Cambridge: Groome
Islington, Holborn, Tottenham: Hunt; Nash
East London/West Ham/East Ham/Dagenham/Bow,Mile End: Smith; Morley: Boosey: McAllister: Webb
Gloucestershire: Smith; Fildes: Ashwin: DJones; Lloyd; Prior; Jenkins;Mitchell; Phillips
Somerset: Smith; Jenkins; Wyatt;Cole;Mitchell
Scotland: McAllister; Love;Lang;Ferguson

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: What does SNLR stand for in Naval Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Service No Longer Required

When some one, not through there own fault is no longer fit for military service and will not be discharged medically unfit
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That makes sense.  I have  a relative  who repeatedly deserted for no apparent reason and finally discharged.
East London/West Ham/East Ham/Dagenham/Bow,Mile End: Smith; Morley: Boosey: McAllister: Webb
Gloucestershire: Smith; Fildes: Ashwin: DJones; Lloyd; Prior; Jenkins;Mitchell; Phillips

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
SNLR (Services No Longer Required) is the RN's equivalent of the 'sack'.

During my time, I knew of a number of ratings who were discharged thus, most of them because they had accumulated a long record of minor offences, none of which individually would merit 'Dismissal' which is a punishment, though SNLR is not. It is also enacted if a rating is convicted by the civil courts of an offence considered to warrant discharge on the grounds that the navy has been brought into disrepute. Nowadays, it is virtually automatic if an individual's drugs test is positive.

It is never given due to medical unfitness.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
SNLR (Services No Longer Required) is the RN's equivalent of the 'sack'.

During my time, I knew of a number of ratings who were discharged thus, most of them because they had accumulated a long record of minor offences, none of which individually would merit 'Dismissal' which is a punishment, though SNLR is not. It is also enacted if a rating is convicted by the civil courts of an offence considered to warrant discharge on the grounds that the navy has been brought into disrepute. Nowadays, it is virtually automatic if an individual's drugs test is positive.

It is never given due to medical unfitness.

Exactly...

Most of my boys and girls that have been SNLR'd for illicit drug use have used this as a quick way out. They have been unhappy soldiers and thus there is nil notice to serve.

There is a sub section in QRs that states that "...through no fault of his own the soldier is considered unfit for further military service..." This isn't medically unfit but usually one of those "psychologically unsuited to military life"

Indeed there are various sub sections that cover many eventualities...Some even preseve pension and re settlement!

Can't remember the exact passages as mine is not at hand at the mo...

It is not always the sack... ;)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 08 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for clarifying the meaning.  The naval ancestor I have found was never mentioned in the family for some reason.  All we knew was that he had been  in the Royal Navy.  I now believe from his record that he was unsuited to Naval life and was later employed by a shipping line.  He went at least once to Hong Kong and Australia but this was definitely not while in RN.  A new challenge! Finding shipping line records from the 1920s and 1930s.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
You will probably find him in the Merchant Navy records at the National Archives.

BT348, BT349 and BT364.

Offline medhist

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.  Did sailors on passenger liners class as merchant seamen or were they employed by the shipping line itself?  I always associate merchant navy carrying cargo.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
Merchant Seamen are pretty much self employed in real terms, certainly from the 1800's through until very recent times (I packed it in in 1983) and within a bit could pick and choose which ships we preferred, usually by Home Trade or Foreign destination, company owning the ship, length of voyage preferred, some prefer tankers, some prefer liners, etc, etc.

Officers would serve an Apprenticeship with a company, 5 years,  and then might be offered a position with the company and might well stay with a company for their full career at sea, others might change a couple of times between companies trying to gain promotion because simply holding a Master's Certificate didnt guarantee that a chap would sail as Captain until he had sufficient "sea time" experience and the luck to find a company wanting a Master. Some changed a lot.

Ratings (as I was) might crew a Tanker on an engagment Jan-April, have a couple of weeks leave and return to the "Pool" (the MN employment office in their local port) and then ship out aboard a Container ship in May-June, a bulker  Aug-Oct, a Royal Fleet Auxiliary November-March, etc, etc or a passenger liner (or aboard a General cargo ship, a tramp, in days gone by).

It was common though for long in the tooth seamen who had continually managed to gain employment aboard a particular vessel/company (such as Petty Officer ratings and cooks/stewards) to get a "company contract" which virtually guaranteed them employment and regular periods of leave with the same ship or other ships owned by the company. The same thing often happens with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

So in short

All of them are Merchant Seamen, I sailed aboard a variety of ships including passenger liners.