Author Topic: Sutherland/Gunn  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland/Gunn
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 March 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
From the IGI, Robert Sutherland and Margaret Gunn had the following children in Latheron:

Ann - 18 Feb 1836 (bpt. 1 March 1836)
Margaret - 25 October1839 (bpt. 25 Nov 1839)
Alexander - 23 April 1842 (bpt   2 May 1842)

So they must be somewhere on the 1841  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 March 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
Think that I might have found them in 1851 but Ann is not there - maybe in service:

Latheron
Parish 38 ED 1 page 14

Robert  is a cooper - what does the marriage cert say?

Have a look and see what you think. They seem to have a lot more children than were on the IGI.

Also one with Margaret on her own in Houstry, Latheron:

38 ED 14 page 6

This last one looks more like them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 March 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
Oh  :'( :'( :'(

It says for Margaret, Pauper abandoned by her husband

Full details:

Margrat, 43,  Pauper abandoned by her husband, b. Latheron
Margrat, 10, scholar, b. Latheron
Alexander, 8, scholar, b. Latheron
Adam, 6, scholar, b. Latheron

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 March 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Marriage/Banns for Robert Sutherland and Margaret Gunn: Latheron

....both of Houstray... matrimonially contracted 16th May and married 6th June 1834

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 March 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
The most likely baptism for Margaret Gunn, given she was  43 in 1851, is:

4 May 1808, Latheron. Father Robert Gun
(IGI controlled extraction)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 March 08 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alanna

What you failed to mention was that the marriage cert for William Sutherland and Ann Sutherland states that they were cousins germain - usually those whose fathers were brothers or nowadays just 'first cousins'

This means that by researching William's line, you'll find one of Ann's lines or vice versa.

The first sons of both Angus and Robert where called Alexander - worth investigating.

Gadget

Offline aks_aksutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 March 08 16:34 BST (UK) »
You've been very busy Gadget!  Thank you very much.  I will have to sort through this in a couple of hours as it is time to head to church.  I appreciate you very much! 
Alanna

Offline aks_aksutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 March 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
Oh my!  I'm really confused.  For one thing, William & Ann being cousins makes me wonder if their fathers were brother and/or their mothers were sisters.  For another thing, what does "german or germain" mean on the marriage cert?  Was she German? 

I'm not sure I understand what you're telling me about Margaret, Ann's mother.  Do you think she is the one who was abandoned by her husband?  And I don't know what IGI or 38 ED 14 page 6 means.  And what do you mean by she might have been "in service"?  I'm sorry...  Plus, I could be looking for a Sutherland family that has a Robert and Angus as brothers born at least 1818 or earlier, right?  Gosh!  The father's may not even be related.  It may be the mothers.   :o

This is what I know for sure.  Ann was born Feb 18, 1836 in Houstry to Robert Sutherland & Margaret Gunn.  I can't tell where she is until she married William in Houstry, 1858.  They had their first child, Angus, in Houstry only 6 weeks after marrying.  At that time William was a fisherman.  Then their second child, Robert, was born 1861 in Ballachly and William was a farmer.  Third child, Elizabeth, was born 1863 in Blackburn? and William was a farmer.  Then Agnes was born in 1870 in Houstry and William was a fisherman again.  Then in 1874 they sailed to New York.  It's smooth sailing for me after that.  It's before their marriage that is so rocky, hard to understand and sort through.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 March 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alanna

i've explained all this -  Germain, etc . and the censuses.  Read through my messages again.

Gadget