Author Topic: Out in India???  (Read 568 times)

Offline rarebit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Out in India???
« on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can someone help me please ,how do I find out about someones record in the forces ,I have a photo of my husbands grandfather ,my mother -in-law has told me he fought out in India  and something about the Ghurkas,on the photo he has a light coloured uniform ,and in the background is a plant like a banana tree,I have his marriage cert ,and it seems he got married in a hurry in 1922 ,although his 1st child was born about 5 years after ,so it seems he went to the Army then ,he was also Welsh so maybe that would help ,I know its not much to go on ,any snippet of information might help me find out about him .....Thanks   Marion   PS   I can't upload the photo as I'm having trouble with my scanner
Devonald Maddock Thomas Edwards Barwick Groom Keene                                                                            Pembrokeshire Maesteg Bridgend Caernarvon Somerset Norfolk Wiltshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Out in India???
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
hi marion  :)

if you would like to give his name and maybe birth year
we might be able to find something

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rarebit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ,his name was John Lewis and  I only know at the minute the year he was born 1889   Thanks
Devonald Maddock Thomas Edwards Barwick Groom Keene                                                                            Pembrokeshire Maesteg Bridgend Caernarvon Somerset Norfolk Wiltshire

Offline rarebit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi   just looked at his marriage cert and it was 2/2/1921

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 March 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marion !

Have you though about getting his service records?  There is more info here :

http://www.rootschat.com/links/014s/

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire