Author Topic: How do you tell if it's the RIGHT person?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
How do you tell if it's the RIGHT person?
« on: Saturday 29 March 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Guys, Stupid question time!  I am trying to work backwards through my Dad's family.  My great grandparents are Joseph C Thompson (son of Thomas), born Ireland 1865 and Lucy Carroll (son of William) born Liverpool 1860/1864.  They were married in Birmingham in 1889. I have the certificate for that and have loads of information after that but I can't be sure of anything before.  They give their addresses on the marriage cert as Horse Fair Birmingham (him) and 200 High St, Bangor (her). The only Joseph Thompson I can find in the 1881 census is living as a boarder in Everton with his brother David. I can't find one at all on the 1871.  No records I have shown say where in Ireland he was born and I don't know how I can find out if it's the same Joseph.  The same with Lucy.  There is a Lucy Carroll in West Derby, Liverpool on the three previous censuses but don't know if it's the right one and I can't find a birth registration at all.   Is there any way of finding out if these are the right Joseph and Lucy? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How do you tell if it's the RIGHT person?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 March 08 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunic,

What were the names of the witnesses on the marriage certificate?  Sometimes these are relatives, which really help in narrowing the family down.

By the way it is not a stupid question at all!

Kath

P.S. Meant to ask what the occupations of the two fathers were
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 March 08 19:28 GMT (UK) »
The witnesses names were Henry Jolley and Mary Gibbs, neither of which are family names.  I've looked around the potential Joseph but can't find either of them there.  Lucy's father - William was a decorator and Joseph's father Thomas was a fitter.
I wonder if that could be the right Joseph and he came over from Ireland between 1871 and 1881.  Don't know! Thompson is quite a common surname!

Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 March 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunic,

Good news is that the Joseph and David that you found in the 1881 census are together and their father is called Thomas, in the 1871 Wales census - RG10/5690, Folio 18, Page 5.  Bad news is the father Thomas is an inn keeper not a fitter and of course it is still doesn't prove/disprove anything.  It does give a birth place in Ireland and you will be surprised at the fathers birth place!

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 March 08 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,
Joseph had several different jobs throughout his life so there's nothing to say he didn't learn that from his father - and he was a barman himself in 1889 when he go married.  I will try and find the marriage of Thomas and Mary Jane but it could well be in Ireland. I did IGI Joseph's birth and the only result that came up was a Thomas and Mary Pury.  I suppose this could be them, having moved over.  I didn't realise the Welsh censuses were separate!  Thanks
Sunic

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 March 08 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunic,

You have probably found it, but just in case the marriage of Thomas and Mary Jane is on the IGI, as well as the birth of David

Kath

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 March 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunic,

Was trying to find Joseph's parents to maybe help tie in with the addresses that Joseph and Lucy gave on their marriage.  Couldn't find them, but did find Josephs grandmother (Maria Lawless, born Wicklow), and siblings of Joseph and David living still at Lion Street in 1881.

In 1891, Maria and grandchildren are living in West End, Bangor, which looking at the map, is a stones throw from the High Street, so this is possibly how Joseph and Lucy met!

Kath

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
That all seems to tie in really nicely, I wonder where Maria was in 1871?  Have had a trawl around but I can't find her.  As she would have been only two it seems odd she wasn't with them.  Aliza /Eliza/Elizabeth probably wasn't quite born.  Is there any way of checking that this Joseph actually IS the one that married Lucy in Birmingham in 1889?  I can't imagine why they got married there. 

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunic,

Sorry for the late reply; being a little poorly :P

Maria was born in Ireland, it is possible she stayed with the grandmother and they followed once Thomas and Mary got settled in Wales; who knows?

As to proving, this is the right Thomas, you may never be able to; have had a quick look at Joseph's siblings to see where they are living in future censuses, but have not found anything viable yet.

You may be lucky and Joseph may have registered the death of one or both of his parents, I was very fortunate once when I was unsure whether I had the right parents and the death of a parent was registered by the son in law!

I had a quick look at Horse Fair, Birmingham, on the 1881, it seems to be a street of shops and as you have said Joseph was a barman, he was probably living where he worked rather than with relatives.

Do you have any idea what the C is in Joseph's name is for?

Regards,
Kath