Author Topic: Florence Biddulph - Chatham, Ontario News Articles?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline NorahEllyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Catherine Carroll, British Home Child
    • View Profile
Florence Biddulph - Chatham, Ontario News Articles?
« on: Saturday 29 March 08 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm hoping to unravel a bit of mystery.

On June 30, 1929, Florence Biddulph, an unmarried housekeeper, address unknown, plunged off of a ferry in a car and drowned in Chatham, Kent, Ontario, Canada. An inquest was held. 

Florence was a home child (I hope I placed this post in the right area!), sent by Barnardos to Canada on the Sicilian in 1911.  She was born in London in 1897. 

Several home children committed suicide during their brief lives, and as a BHC descendant and researcher, I would very much like to know the circumstances of Florence's death, especially whether it was an accident or suicide.

Would any of the members here have access to Chatham, Kent, Ontario papers in 1929?  If so, I would appreciate a lookup to see what the determination of her death might (if reported)...or, in the alternative, is there a way to get information on the inquest?

Thanks so much in advance!
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Always searching for:
Yoell,Kierzek,Starner,Shaw,Paszek,Harrison,Abrahams,Cohen,Zybala,Krawczyk,Moskalska,Laughead,Westall

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Biddulph - Chatham, Ontario News Articles?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 March 08 18:46 BST (UK) »
I have an article from the Toronto Star dated July 2nd, 1929. (2 pages) stating that the cause of the accident was more than likely the brakes on the car. Also being killed in the accident was John Hooper aged 63.

I am still looking for any other news article.

If you would like these pages, then please send me a personal message with your email and I will send them through to you. (Please do not post your email on this board).

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Biddulph - Chatham, Ontario News Articles?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 March 08 18:58 BST (UK) »
I have another article dated July 6th, 1929 that shows that the jury blamed the road and the owner of the ferry for the accident.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie