Author Topic: Birth look up please - COLE  (Read 3974 times)

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth look up please - COLE
« on: Friday 14 January 05 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone trace a birth for me for

Mary Cole, father James Cole. Born 1838/39.

Some confusion as to where she was born: Manaton/ Moretonhampsed/ Widdicombe areas are all mentioned in other records I have for her.

(Nothing showing in the Moretonhampsted baptisms database.)

Thanks

Offline Charlieralph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth look up please - COLE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 05 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Only one I can find in the area is:-
05 APR 1838   St Mary'S, Wareham, Dorset, England
of James and Mary
Any other details on other family members?
Charlie
Gandy,Ralph,,Perry,Mason

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 05 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Her marriage certificate shows her father as James and one of the witnesses is a George Cole. Her current address on the marriage certificate is what I know to be this George's, so I am pretty certain that he is her brother. He is shown in various censuses as being born in Moretonhampstead and indeed I have traced a baptism for a George Cole there on19/3/1826, with a father James and a mother Ann.

This seems to suggest they are all the same family, but no absolute proof and so no certainty that Mary's mother was this Ann.

In the 1851 census for Moretonhamsted there is a widower James with a daughter called Mary, who is the right age. However, no George (he would be an adult by then.) Mary is shown as being born in Moretonhamsted and on a later census I have what I definitely know to be my Mary as being born at Manaton. (Could easily be the same place, just misheard or mistranscribed.)

However, I cannot find a baptism or birth certificate for her anywhere!!

Offline Surrey BC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
I believe that the George Cole you are looking for went on to be the miller at Jordan Mill - Widicombe in the Moor.  I am trying to find info on Frederick Cole born in Moretonhampstead around 1825.  I know that they are in the same family because in 1881 George's wife Elizabeth was visiting Frederick and his family in Newton Abbott.  She is listed as "Cousin" but that doesn't really help. 

I have info for every census from 1861 for Frederick (My G G Grandfather) but I cannot find his birth or quite how he is related to George.

Unfortunately the 1841 census rounds up ages and does not say where people are born.  There is a family in Exeter
Father Thomas Age 50 Occupation Builder. 
Wife Mary Age 50.
Catherine 25,
Sarah, Louisa, & George all listed as age 20
 Frederick 15 ?Draper
and Albert Age 6  living at Northhay Street Exeter

There is a Marriage in Boyd's of Thomas Cole to Mary Hargrave at Exeter St Sidwell in 1809
Cole, Coles - Moretonhampstead, Manaton, Widdicombe.
Shore - Marksbury, Long Ashton, Bower Ashton, Bedminster, Bristol
Coombes, King - Glastonbury, Somerset
Bray - Currey Rivel

Offline wowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 08:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, 'my' George Coles was the miller at Jordan.

Could this be who you are looking for? There is a Frederic Coles shown as being baptised in Moreton Hampsted on 12th June 1825. Mother is shown as Mary. No father shown.

I have taken this form the Family search website, so you will need to check the original.

I have George Coles baptised in Moreton Hampstead on 19th March 1826, with a father James and a mother Ann. I am reasonably certain, therefore , that he was Ann's brother, but am still looking for proof.

The above baptism for Frederic suggests he and George were not brothers, but cousins perhaps? Could Mary Coles to James Cole's sister? I have his name variously spelt Cole and Coles.

Offline Surrey BC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
Manaton is just up the road from Bovey Tracey on the way to Moretonhampstead.  there is a web site for Manaton www.manaton.org.uk and Moretonhampstead historical site www.moretonhampstead.org.uk .  On the moretonhampstead site they have some parish records and census information and they have assigned codes to some families.

Family 823CJ Has William Tavener Coles Bapt 08/06/1823, George 19/03/1826,
There is also John Tavener Coles 1833 Father James, Mother Ann but not listed in same family 823CJ!  Too confusing.  James Coles a resident of Manaton married Ann Tavener 29/04/1823 (Moretonhampstead) Ann Tavener was baptised 108/01/1797 and her Father is listed as William Tavener.
Bray - Currey Rivel

Offline Surrey BC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 01:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, 'my' George Coles was the miller at Jordan.
This should interest you.  I received the info recently from a lady who is living at Jordan.

Thurza Chaffe married John French.Thurza Chaffe had sisters called Mary, Betsy, Nancy  & Susan and brothers called John, Samuel & Thomas.

Susan Chaffe  married the miller who lived at Jordan - we only knew him as Miller Cole (This would be George's son William) and his wife as Aunt Susie. Before moving to Jordan he had mills at Ashburton & Landscove.

He never lived at Jordan Mill but at Drywell Farm just up the hill from Jordan. He had two daughters. Ethel the eldest never married. Thurza married Courtney Mead but never had any children. They lived at South Brent.

Bray - Currey Rivel

Offline Surrey BC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
Well, It's been a while  I have been in touch with the Devon Record Office and they have provided some very good info. 

James Cole married Ann Taverner at Moretonhampstead on 29th March 1823.

1798 James the son of Samuel and Mary Coles (sic)
Born 4 of June & baptized 29 of July
I did not find the baptism of James Cole(s).

However I did note the following baptism:

John Son of Samuel and Mary Cole    Feb 3rd 1788

This leaves a gap from 1788 to 1802 and it seems likely that Samuel and Mary were having children baptized in other parishes, possibly even a son named James.
 James Cole on the 1851 census to see if he gives his place of birth and approximate age
 James Cole, aged 53, a farm labourer and widower living with his son, John aged 17 and daughter Mary aged 12 at Cross Street, Moretonhampstead. James had been born in Chudleigh about 1798 and his children in Moretonhampstead

1841 census and found James Cole aged 40, Ag lab at Water Cottages, Manaton with Ann Cole aged 40 and John aged 7, and Mary aged 2 all born in Devon.

There seems little doubt that James and Mary were brother and sister and therefore Frederic and George were first cousins.
Bray - Currey Rivel