Author Topic: Tanygrisiau or Festiniog ?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
Tanygrisiau or Festiniog ?
« on: Sunday 30 March 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
 Help Please,
                     My G- Grandfather died at 2, Tanyfron terrace  Festiniog  in 1900, i have since found out it was also so known as Closygraig , which was  their residence in 1881 1891,but on the 1901 census it was Tanyfron terrrace , is it possiable it was in Tanygrisiau , not Festiniog , as i cant find his buriel place.

Regards Mrs Griff

Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elacass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tanygrisiau or Festiniog ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you have managed to find the answer to you'r question by now, seeing as quite a few years have past. But seeing as I have just come across it now, and happen to know the answer, I'm replying to you ''just-incase''.
I was raised in Tanygrisiau so know it well, I now live a mile up the road in Blaenau Ff.
There was/is a Tanyfron in Tanygrisiau, I am not quite sure how many seeing as it was not a row of house's. But still today there is a Tanyfron at the bottom of a hill, and one if not two Tanyfron's at the top of that hill. It's possible that there could have been more there at one time, because I vaguely remember a couple more house's at the top of the hill. They were right next to the rail.

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello thank you for your reply the good thing about roots is that they will always notify you of a reply to a post how ever long its been on there .
well the only new info I have about my G-Grandfather is a parish register entry for Festiniog its for St Michaels and it fits him but there is no stone but some kind RC looked at the church burials and said it was near grave 885 which I assume had a  stone,
As I said in my post Tanyfron was  apparently also Closygraig terr where they lived in 1881,1891 it was no 9 in 1891,then 1901census they are down as living in 2 Tanyfron terr and that address is on his death cert .so I don't  know if you can confirm they are the same place if it helps you think on the 1901 census the two addresses before no 1 and no 2 Tanyfron were Brynaawel and after that was something Villa a four letter name which I have never been able to transcribe thank you again for your reply we researchers clutch at the smallest bit of info ,oh and g-granddad was a John Roberts !
Kind Regards Mrs Griff     
Roberts,  Williams.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The house next to Tanyfron Terrace is Vron Villa - clearer on the 1901 and 1911 Census.

You can just make out the name Tanyfron Terrace on the 1977 1:2500 OS map. Vron Villa seems to have been renamed as Hafanedd.

If you look at the pictures on this link, one of them shows the house and a picture of Tanyfron Terrace.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/416061/images/HAFANYDD%2C+BLAENAU+FFESTINIOG/

David

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David for that link what lovely drawings , can I ask if you would know if the two addresses are the same when I visited Caernavon  Archives some years ago a person there thought they were ! but why would Closygraig become Tanyfron and yes I can now see that it is Vron .
Kind Regards
Mrs Griff
Roberts,  Williams.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
The number of houses is the same and the sequence of streets is the same. Also, none of the censuses seem to have both names, so I think they are the same.

There is a newspaper announcement of a son (no first name) to Mr John Roberts of 5 Tanyfron in 1898, so it was called that by then.

Regards,
David

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
David I am still a little confused or "thick" are you saying Closygraig  which is where my ancestors are recorded as living on the censuses of 1881 1891 and where my grandfather was born in 1884 I have his birth cert which says Closygraig and then his father dies at 2 Tanyfron terr in 1900 and the family are still at 2 Tanyfron terr on the 1901 census are the same place ? not  as I always thought one was in Blaenau Festiniog and the other in Tanygrisiau .
  Kind Regards
Mr Griff
Roberts,  Williams.

Offline elacass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 15 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Closygraig and Tanyfron Terrace 'is' or 'was' the same row of house's. First named Closygraig and then for some reason the name was changed to Tanyfron. I have spoken to a local lady who lived there as a child, when she lived there the row was named Tanyfron, but as children they all called it Closygraig, its previous name. They called the road 'Topia', I'm guessing that would have been local slang rather than an actual name though.
'This' Tanyfron was in Blaenau Ffestiniog, It is not the Tanyfron of Tanygrisiau. I should have a map here and possibly an areal view photo of the Tanyfron in Blaenau, leave it with me. 

Offline elacass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born in 5 Tanyfron in 1930, so 'Roberts' must have moved on by then. Apparently, according to a local woman who lived there as a child, many of the residents of Tanyfron moved up town towards the Fron Fawr area. This same woman has been able to name a few family's who lived in the row, but I don't recall her naming any 'Roberts'. No harm in asking though