Author Topic: Tanygrisiau or Festiniog ?  (Read 6215 times)

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
Re: Tanygrisiau or Festiniog ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 15 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for clearing things up for me always thought it was in Blaenau Festiniog I can't find my family anywhere on the 1911 census but anything could have happen in 10 years in 1901 there was my great grandmother and 3 children living in 2 Tanyfron terr she was a Jane Roberts and her children were Hugh Jane & Mary I have tried to find marriages for them but with girls changing their surnames it as been impossible but I had a lot of help from the register in Marion St ?but no luck I have visited the area looking for graves etc but never really had much time coming up from South Wales where my grand father William Roberts came to from Festioniog to work in the coal mines but he died young before I was born so could not ask the questions I now want the answers too !! the joys of family research .

Kind regards
Mrs Griff

Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
It seems as though the two street names were interchangeable for a time.

On the 1901 census, Phebe Hughes is at 3 Tanyfron Terrace. There is a newspaper article in 1903 which gives her address as 3 Closygraig.

Try looking through - http://newspapers.library.wales/

Search on Closygraig and select The Cambrian News and Merionethsire Standard.

There are several references, including one to John Roberts, 8 Closygraig, in 1906.

Search on "Tanyfron Terrace" (include the quotation marks) and in 1907 there is a Hugh Roberts of 8 Tanyfron Terrace.
One in 1900 mentions John Roberts, Tanyfron Terrace.

Regards,
David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 November 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - Clos-y-Graig was the name of the road and Tanyfron the name of the terrace of houses, hence the two names being used at the same time.

David

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 November 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David for your help I have looked through the newspapers I couldn't find the one in 1900 referring to John Roberts I think it might be my the obituary of my g- grandfather I think I seen it ones in Dollgellau Achives but again not much time there I  would like to see it again so will master the way of searching the newspapers .
Kind Regards
Mrs Griff
Roberts,  Williams.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
An 1906 article regarding John Roberts of 8 Closygraig (and his bankruptcy - for the second time in his life) notes that he had worked at Maenofferen quarry for 23 yrs and had been in the Rhondda for 7 months. This also noted 15 children f whom 8 had lived and 6 were still dependent on him

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3571321/3571328/72/

however by 1907 he does seem to be back as he's a) in court for illegal fishing (one of a number of times this happens) and b) opening a temperance meeting.

Interestingly in one of those two articles his address is "Tanyfron Terrace (formerly Closygraig)"

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 November 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
To see the 1900 articles, use the advanced search and enter "Tanyfon Terrace" in the top row and Roberts in the second row. Then set the date to start in 1896 and end in 1919.

The two in 1900 seem to be about young John, who is in trouble for fishing and stealing coke.

There is an interesting one in 1910 which reads roughly as:
In memory of our daughters HARRIET and LIZZIE ANN, one died on DECEMBER 11th. 1897, and the other JANUARY 21st, 1905.  JOHN AND ELIZABETH ROBERTS, Llwynderw (formerly (of?) Tanyfron Terrace), Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I am not sure if this is the same article refered to by Mabel, but there is an article in 1906 about John Roberts which gives his address as Tanyfron, Closygraig - http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4253617/4253622/16/ (top L.H. corner)

David

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 November 15 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies but as you can see from a previous message of mine on this post my John Roberts died Dec 1900 at 2 Tanyfron Terr 0n the 1901 census his widow and 3 children are still living there but by the  1911 I have lost all trace of  them all my g-grandmother could have remarried being only 50 in 1901 ,there were family stories of the girls going to the USA but all my research as proved fruitless so basically I had put the file away with the hope that something may turn  up one day that maybe the girls had children and they take up Family Research and find me here on Roots Chat  :) there is more info about this family amongst my posts on here ...
Roberts,  Williams.

Offline elacass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 November 15 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Code: [Select]

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran