Author Topic: injured soldiers that were 'shipped' back to the UK from the battlefields?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Jenny Analist

• RootsChat Extra
  • from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Hello. I'm new to the boards and I hope I can ask for some expert advise. 

My Grandfather JOHN BATES (b 1896. Byker. Newcastle Upon Tyne) on his wedding Certificate,  (aged 21) in 1917 was written...
place of residence "Gostwycke Hospital Colchester" 
Occupation "Private 21st Northumberland Fusiliers"

I've been Google researching for 2 years! There is LITTLE information on 'Gostwycks' but I think it was an AUXILIARY HOME HOSPITALS (VAD) Run by the Red Cross??

I also know that the 21st (Service) Battalion (2nd Tyneside Scottish) Northumberland Fusiliers was Formed at Newcastle in September 1914.
Was attached to the 102nd Brigade, 34th Division in June 1915. 
Was disbanded in France in February 1918. 

"The 2nd Tyneside Scottish saw action on the 1st of July 1916, with the 34th Division at the Battle of the Somme"
www.tyneside-scottish.co.uk

I have searched and cross referenced the British Army WWI Service Records,. and Medal cards. Have found a few with the correct name, date of birth, Regiment etc... but can't say for sure that I have the correct John (Full name: John Robert Gray Bates) because one or two of the details don't match 100% with information I already know.

I would be very grateful if anyone could assist me with any information to find records of the time Granddad was in this Gostwycks Hospital, at the time of his marriage in 1917.

Are there any records of the injured soldiers that were 'shipped' back to the UK from the battlefields?
(I'm assuming that's why he was in Essex in 1917)

Thankyou for any help.

McCowan. Scotland-Lancashire.
WILLIAMS. Wales
PARRY. Cheshire Lancashire
SEDDON. Lancashire
BATES. Northumberland
CATLING.  Essex
FYLES. Lancashire

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: injured soldiers that were 'shipped' back to the UK from the battlefields?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

A very warm welcome to RootsChat.

I've been Google researching for 2 years! There is LITTLE information on 'Gostwycks' but I think it was an AUXILIARY HOME HOSPITALS (VAD) Run by the Red Cross??

According to the British Journal of Nursing, Gostwyke was a Field Ambulance Hospital.

I quote:

"Many people apparently do not understand the composition or functions of the Joint War Committee. It is composed of representatives of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem in England, and the British Red Cross Society, administers the money contributed to these societies and to the Times Fund, and through a Board of Matrons
selects nurses sent to the Military Auxiliary Hospitals.

The following nurses have been deputed to duty in home hospitals :-
Field Ambulance Hospital, Gostwycke, Colchester. -Miss F. M. Wyncoll."

Can't help you with your main query, I'm afraid, but you might just be lucky and find his records at Kew.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 08 11:52 BST (UK) »
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Hi
The link above will take you to the Great War Forum.If you post on there in the Soldiers bit ,there are a couple of guys who have written a book on the Tyneside Scottish Battalions they may be able to help you as they have casualty lists regimental journals etc.

If you do find his number then his Medal Index Card post it on the forum you will get plenty of help. :)

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=1347520&queryType=1&resultcount=3

You may have checked this guy ?
This guys records are on Ancestry he was living at Heaton just up from Byker also an Northumberland Fusilier only thing cant find any thing linking to 21st NF just 12th.
He was wounded and changed regiments.

Hopefully youl get something firm to work from.
Good Luck

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Jenny Analist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
I was replying ...  something happened ??? every thing went! so sorry but I lost all the info I had already typed.

>:( ;) :'(

But I'd like to say....

Hello Bill.
Thankyou for your warm welcome and reply.  All this information is helping me to understand a little better (not much but a little :-)
I will look at your info' in more detail. Thankyou again.

Thanks, Ady
Yes I purchased the records of this guy from National Archives as I was so certain. But there was dates etc that did not match up. Plus the fact that some of the writing is so hard to read.
I can see he was in the R. W. Kent Regiment as well then? Gunshot wound to the arm and foot.

Thats a good idea as well.  I would like to buy this book 'Tyneside Scottish Battalions'.. I'll do as you suggest and get back to this.

Thankyou again, to both of you for your help. Much appreciated.

btw.. Is it this section/board ( I upload the service records of 'my guy' and ask if someone can decipher the info plainly for me?)

Looking forward t this!  :-*

WILLIAMS. Wales
SEDDON. Lancashire
BATES. Northumberland
CATLING.  Essex
FYLES. Lancashire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tyneside-Scottish-Battalions-Northumberland-Fusiliers/dp/0850526310/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Heres the book details and yes if you post stuff on here someone will decypher it for you....i see what you say about difficult to read obviously got a lot of water damage during the blitz ...that guy was also a Royal Engineer.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Jenny Analist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 March 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
This guy get more interesting by the minute...

I hope you are here when I eventually put the info on, Ady   :D
Very helpful. 

I had a look at the link but the book is out of stock, for the moment. Not to worry, I'll follow it up.

Thanks again for all your help. (I'm starting to think this 'guy' might be Granddad )

:)

WILLIAMS. Wales
SEDDON. Lancashire
BATES. Northumberland
CATLING.  Essex
FYLES. Lancashire