Author Topic: What kind of street was Fair Mile in 1871 Henley, does it exist today?  (Read 11503 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of street was Fair Mile in 1871 Henley, does it exist today?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 April 08 23:12 BST (UK) »
And a very handsome house it is too, Ricky.  A bit out of my budget, though...
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Must have missed him the first time I looked, but have now found Richard JOHNSON in the 1881 Census of Henley.  Here, his address is given more precisely as 5, Oxford Villa, Fair Mile.
So, can I ask whether these Villas exist today; they were  numbered up to 8, then Mountfield Villas began...
keith

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I have just spotted your post. I live very close to the Fairmile and went along there in my car today. I couldnt see an Oxford Villa or a Mountfield Villa anywhere but there is an Oxford Lodge ( a large house with an entrance for a horse and carriage if you know what I mean). Interestingly one of the roads near me is Mountview. Could it be Mountview and not Mountfield?

Are there any other houses marked nearby? If so I can have a wander down on foot and see if I can locate it for you if you are still interested. Sorry I havent got access to Ancestry now so I cant look at the same pages as you to see if there are any other names I recognise so any info would help

All the best
Jackie ;)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
Jackie,
Thanks so much for taking the effort to try and sort out exactly where Richard JOHNSON might have lived in Fair Mile!
Looking at the images from the 1881 Census again, he appears to live at number 5, Oxford Villas (there are 8 in all); these are followed by Mountfield Villas (just four of these); followed by Oxford Place (numbers 1-6); then Magdalen House, Nutfield House, followed by the words "The end of the sanitary district of Henley".
Previous to all these (well-plumbed) residences were what looks like "Bell Pits"
Does this in any way help to pinpoint his location...?
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
I must admit Keith that I dont know any of those names :-\ :-\ However leave it with me.

I know the area it would be in and I will try to get to the library on Friday or Monday to see if they have an old map there which may pinpoint it better. I am pretty sure it is in the Northfield End area of Henley going out towards Oxford, but it depends on which side of the road it is.  Bell pits is probably an extension of Bell Street. So it runs now, Bell street in the centre of HOT, Northfield End and then the Fairmile if you get what I mean.

If you are in no particular hurry I will get sleuthing ;D ;D

Jackie

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update Keith. I have been for a very slow drive up the Fairmile irritating alot of drivers ;D

No sign of any of those at the moment  :'( but does Lanton Place which is what I would describe as the sort of victorian villas that Oxford Villas probably was, Pearces Orchard a single large house, Northfield Cottage or The Old White Horse Pub appear anywhere nearby? These are dotted along the Henley part of the Fairmile on both sides.  There is also a Quaker meeting house which I think has probably also been there from about the 1880's.

It is clear that some original houses have obviously been demolished to create newer 20 C housing. It would just be our luck that it was there :-[

There is also a slip road off the Fairmile about half way up but I couldnt get up there tonight as there is a truck parked across the entrance. This has some "villas" but it was too dark to see if there were any names. I will check these out on Fridayif you like

All the best
Jackie

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 20:22 BST (UK) »
Jackie,
Please don't get into any road rage situations along Fair Mile on my account!  But I'll have another look on the nearby Census pages and see if any of those other names are mentioned.
I believe Richard JOHNSON's death entry is in the Torquay area, so he must have moved onwards from Henley at some stage after 1881...
Regards, keith

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 20:47 BST (UK) »
If you put - fairmile Henley - into the following site it will give you about a dozen images

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
David,
Thanks very much for that link, have now registered and am having a good look around!
Made a misleading statement in my previous post - Richard JOHNSON's death entry is almost certainly this one:  Richard JOHNSON aged 81 Henley Dec. quarter 1881 Volume 3a page 380.
Got my wires crossed....
keith