Author Topic: birth certificates  (Read 2751 times)

Offline John3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificates
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 April 08 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Erika, you can get some direct see UKBMD search (if the one you want is there click on link fill in form and post) not all places covered. John

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 April 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Quote from: erika91 on Tuesday 01 April 08 23:01 BST (UK)
I wish to get copies of birth, and death certificates from England and Scotland, but at a reasonable cost . . .

To get back to Erika's original query, apparently non-members can obtain ENG/WLS BDM certificates through the afore mentioned SAGHS for $28, and Wills and Admons for $21; and SCT BDM certificates, photocopies over 100 yrs old for $20, handwritten transcripts $16, and certified copies $37.

No doubt (?) the respective Genealogy Societies in other (Aus) States have a similar service.

The only reason I could think of buying from ANY service other than GRO online would be if you do not have a credit card. Buying through the GRO service is fast and reliable. I get certificates in Australia within 10 days of ordering. The latest one I bought cost me $AU15.55 - 5 cents cheaper than Jean  ;D 

It takes a couple of minutes to register & your details are then available next time you wish to order.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
If you don't know or can't find the GRO reference, ask on rootschat - if it can be found it will be found  :) by someone on here.

Scotland is easier still - and cheaper
At www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can search for free but it costs 1 credit to view search results and 5 credits to download a bdm image. 30 credits cost 6 pounds. The last 30 credits I bought cost me $AU13.42 - about 45 cents per credit. A certificate will cost you 6 credits (1 for search & 5 for image) $AU2.70 - the cheapest certificates I have found in any country.

If you haven't used SP before, you can get caught with misspelling, so read a little of the help and also the discussions on Rootschat about doing the Scotland searches - again, if you have any problems with finding the right record, put a query on rootschat.

Hope this helps

Trish

Edit: The site mentioned by Stan seems to still be in operation - takes a while to determine a price (doesn't seem to be a "price list" link) but £23  is the current rate - one for the price of 3.3 and an extra £5  for recorded delivery.  I keep thinking I need a website. I could make a profit at half his prices!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeenie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 April 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
Scotland is easier still - and cheaper
At www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can search for free but it costs 1 credit to view search results and 5 credits to download a bdm image. 30 credits cost 6 pounds. The last 30 credits I bought cost me $AU13.42 - about 45 cents per credit. A certificate will cost you 6 credits (1 for search & 5 for image) $AU2.70 - the cheapest certificates I have found in any country.

As inferred above, sp can be very cheap eg, $A13-01 + 33 cents Fees.  Very cheap if you know what you want, and get what you want, 1st go.  But as Trish has inferred, there have been postings re the difficulties of using sp (similar but not exactly like Vic BDM site).  Some additional tips :  cast a wide net eg, it costs the same to list about 15 matches, as 1;  Ages on Censes may be considerably different from that on a Death record;  searching for the married name of a woman will also match on her maiden name;  once a payment was debited against bank account, but not received by sp (fixed as soon as they were advised - on the next working day).

And if searching "English" records pre 1837, try freegen, and familyhistoryonline, and manyothers which no doubt Trish can recommend eg, cornwall-opc-database.org and freepages.misc.rootsweb.com  :D

But Eryka should have enough to go on, but is the above what she was after  ???
Harvie -  Dunbartonshire 1864
Tait     -   Maybole 1858

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 April 08 15:47 BST (UK) »

But Eryka should have enough to go on, but is the above what she was after  ???

What Eryka requested was a place to buy English and Scottish certificates/scans at a reasonable price. This has well been covered.

I did just notice that Eryka mentioned the pound to aussie dollar is not nice  at 45p to $1AU it is nicer that it has been for many many years. When I was in the UK in 2002 it was 35p to $1AU - quite a difference. It is a good time for buying from the UK in Oz dollars  8)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tarnee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 April 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

In the past l have paid nearly $19.00AU for certs from GRO so was a nice surprise to pay only$15.61AU. l don.t think you could get any cheaper than that.

Jean
Graham, Grundy, Wilson:- Birkenhead
Graham, Sharp, Hodgson, Sherwen:- Workington
Fulford,Braithwaite,Blanchard,Hackforth,Ward,White:- Lincolnshire
Seaby, Cockerill:- Northamptonshire.
Wiseman,Smith:- Warwickshire
Upton, Gentle:- Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire.
Wall, Curtis, Felts, Thoms:- Bedfordshire.
Davis, Smallman:- Shropshire.
Wilcox:- Worcestershire.
Young, Renwick:- Berwick upon Tweed.
Plante:- Stafford, Warwickshire.

Offline jeenie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 08 04:51 BST (UK) »
Note to Trish (in case you missed it) - have you seen ** Appreciation ** in The Lighter Side last reference 08 March 08 ?    ;D
Harvie -  Dunbartonshire 1864
Tait     -   Maybole 1858