Author Topic: Help with Geography please  (Read 3888 times)

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Help with Geography please
« on: Wednesday 02 April 08 17:58 BST (UK) »
A little local knowledge of Northumberland would be much appreciated:

I have an individual who is shown as born "Morton Row" consistently as a married woman.   Searching for her as a single woman gives me two individuals, one born Earsdon, the other Wooler.

Are either of these likely to be who I am looking for ?

Regards
Harry
(a Southern Softy !)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Geography please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 01:00 BST (UK) »
I've found a Morton row in Seaton Delaval in 1881 which was, (may still be) within the parish of Earsdon.

I haven't been able to pin-point the location yet, it may be in one of the villages adjoining Seaton Delaval.

Michael Dixon may be the best person to locate it, as he seems to know quite a bit about the area surrounding Blyth and may have access to more maps.  ::)

Haven't found a Morton Row in Wooler.

edit: It would seem that Morton Row (Seaton Delaval) ran approx 1/2+ mile southwest of Seghill station.

Regards
 Rewcastle

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
According to the Genuki site both Seaton Delavel and Seghill were in Earsdon parish.

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 08 10:58 BST (UK) »

Well I think I have duffed out on this one...........

As Ashley says Seghill and Seaton Delaval once lay within the "ancient" parish of Earsdon. ( They were two of the 8 "townships" that made up the territory of the parish)

And census enumerators were instructed to record either "parish of birth" or "place of birth"

So if Morton Row lay within Seaton Delaval or Seghill, it could easily be described as just Earsdon(parish).

Rewcastle spots Morton Row about half a mile south-west of old Seghill Station. This is getting close to Backworth Colliery. Another half mile south would come to Backworth village.

( Backworth was also a "township"of Earsdon Parish... the other 5 were Hartley, South Blyth&Newsham, Burradon, Holywell and Earsdon itself)

But I could not spot it ! ( Rewcastle, please lead me to Morton Row)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a small community called Murton Row that law  in Chirton ( one of the 7 townships of the Parish of Tynemouth). This was sometimes wriiten as Morton Row.

Another of Tynemouth's townships was Murton -originally Moortown- but Murton Row lay in Chirton, not Murton

Today this Morton/Murton Row would be in the area of Billy Mill and Billy Hill Lane.

I noticed one person who was recorded as born MORTON ROW on one census , then on later cens8uses recorded as born MIDDLE ENGINE ( after where stood a standing steam engine)  Today there is a Middle Engine Lane, in Willington Square, just west of Billy Mill.

But these places would/should never have been described as within Earsdon.

Trivia Angle.    Most South-East Northumbrians would probably have pronounced MORTON and MURTON as the same word.

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Rewcastle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
"But I could not spot it ! ( Rewcastle, please lead me to Morton Row)"

I found 'Morton row' mentioned on a site about the railway running through that area.
 http://theblythandtyne.co.uk/history.htm (another site to add to your collection of the area)  ;)
'Morton row' in mentioned in the 5th paragraph.

I tried to locate the street 'Murton row' from the info on the site, but can only get a rough idea of where it was, using the old maps at http://gis.durham.gov.uk/gis/
If you put Seghill as the town to search for, you should see Seghill station, it give a good view of the area but some of the street names aren't included.

On a side note: could you tell me which villages were part of South Blyth township? as i have a relative who died in 1834 who was buried at Earsdon parish church and it just say's he was from 'South Blyth'.

Regards
 Rewcastle

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:58 BST (UK) »
Rewcastle,

For the short answer read below the line

Today's fairly young town of Blyth, developed,  straddling the boundary between the parishes of Earsdon and Horton.

The "townships" of Horton Parish were West Hartford, East Hartford, Horton itself, Bebside and Cowpen,  the most easterly one.

So the north and west of Blyth town lay in the Township of Cowpen, in the Parish of Horton. The south and east of Blyth lay in the Township of Newsham
( later name-changed to Newsham and South Blyth), within the Parish of Earsdon.

The old parishes boundary today is marked by the route of the old Plessey Wagonway-Plessey Road, then a sharp left turn onto UNION Street, meeting the River Blyth adjacent to where old gasometer was.

So places such as Post Office, Police Station, Ministry of Labour, Star & Garter, South Harbour, Blyth Beach, Links Cemetery and South Newsham would have lain in the Newsham/South Blyth Township of Earsdon Parish.

Cowpen Quay, Hodgson's Mill, North Pit and South Pit, Keelmans Row, shipyards, etc.,  lay in Cowpen township, of Horton Parish.

Which side of the "divide" determined where one was baptised,married or buried. Horton or Earsdon !

As Blyth quickly developed the two mother parishes built two "chapels of ease" for the benefit of their Blyth worshippers. Firstly St, Cuthberts, out of St Alban's, Earsdon, then St Mary's in the market place, out of St Mary the Virgin, Horton. Both these satellites eventually became independent parishes.

The "Cowpen" bit of Blyth and the "South Blyth&Newsham" bit were both separate Urban Districts, until they amalgamated in 1907, under Blyth UDC.
One of the problems they tackled was renaming streets with duplicated names..e.g. Wellington St, Market St, Croft St, Taylor St.

In 1901 census the Cowpen Township had 17,879 inhabitants, the N&SB Township had 5472.
~~~~~~~~---------------

So in summary South Blyth was the southern and eastern of today's of Blyth, including South Newsham. The boundary of this township with  Earsdon's township of Seaton Delaval was marked by Maggie's/Meggies Burn

Stop me somebody.

My main source is the "EARSDON and HORTON chapter of "A History of Northumberland" by HHE Craster.

Also old Trade Directories and a series of  articles by roving reporters of the
NEWCASTLE WEEKLY CHRONICLE, published between Oct 1872 and Auig 1874, entitled "OUR COLLIERY VILLAGES"

I will have to access number 1 (Seghill) and number 121 (Backworth) to see if I can get any info on Morton Row... Newcastle Library
(article 100, 20th Sep 1873, was on Bebside, my birth-colliery.. reporter praised the cleaniness of our "privies and ashpits". They must have deteriorated by the time I came along in 1940s)

Michael Dixon
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Rewcastle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael,

He seems to have lived further up the coast than i had thought, a longer walk/ride to his brothers in Walker Place, Tynemouth. Do you know if there are any MI's for St. Albans?

Regards,
 Rewcastle

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 April 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
I know that all the deaths/burial records are in Tyne & Wear Archives and elsewhere.

Not wanting to upset anyone, I will just say that St Alban's church cemetery is overgrown in places, making finding and reading headstone difficult.

Michael Dixon
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Rewcastle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 April 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
I visited the church and the vicar of St Alban's a number of years ago, apparently the cemetery is a listed as a conservation area, so you aren't allowed to remove the ivy from the headstones to see what is written on them. I was hoping someone had transcribed them some years ago.

Regards,
 Rewcastle.