Author Topic: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s  (Read 15922 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
This may take you back a bit further. T/2825/C/15/9 in PRONI shows a Henry Linton living in Limavady.

The name Henry Linton appears on a rental list for Newtown for May 1/2 year 1781 Nov 1781 - May1782. He rented a tenement in Newtown for  £2 :10:0.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you cyclamen  :D

I wonder if he is the father or grandfather of some of the Lintons in the 1831 census...

Another piece of the puzzle!

Cheers
Prue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
Linton is a very common Co.Londonderry surname.

Samuel James Linton (1876-1944) of Gortecloghan who married Rebecca Dougherty was a son of John Linton (born 1840) and Martha Jane Doherty. Dougherty/Doherty, etc. is probably the most common Co.Londonderry surname.
John Linton (1840) was the son of Samuel Linton (1795-1875) and Catherine (her maiden name possibly Linton).

If there is any connection with Limavady (and I'm doubtful) it's probably back in 1700s.

Added- cyclamen's post re: Henry Linton 1781 shows that there were Lintons in Limavady area at the same time as the Gorticloghan family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
For a minute there I thought you had just found another daughter of Henry Dougherty of Coolkeeragh grandfather of Rebecca. Only I  just realised it is his daughter Mary Jane that I cannot trace. His daughter Martha emigrated to Philadelphia and married William Searles.

Sorry my Irish gegraphy is a little vague and it was only after I posted that I checked Google maps to see how close to Limavady these Lintons were. I must have remembered seeing the Limavady Rd at Garvagh when I looked up Moyletra.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
John Linton (born 1840) married 12 Dec.1865 2nd Garvagh Presbyterian Church to Martha Jane Doherty (born 1846 Carrowreagh) daughter of William Dougherty.

Gorticloughan is a few miles south of the town of Garvagh. It's only the last 40ish years that we've had road names in the country. Limavady Road in Garvagh is called that because it's the road to Limavady (same as the Kilrea Road heading in the opposite direction is the road to Kilrea). Garvagh to Limavady is about 12 miles or so over the mountain.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey - the voice of reason  :)

I admit to being a bit lost when it comes to searching for info about these families (the Lintons and the Balfours/Belfords).  

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 23:55 BST (UK) »

Thank you Aghadowey. I had decided to pursue Martha Jane Dougherty as any Presbyterian Dougherty in Londonderry is of potential interest to me especially one whose son marries my Dougherty family.

In this case I will see what I can find out about William as I have lost a William Dougherty of Coolkeeragh in 1835. I have him tagged as either a possible brother or father of Henry as Henry's only son was William John. Though William was in Coolkeeragh in 1835 he had gone by 1858.
1835 Census   Killkeeraughmore
      Henry DOGHERTY
      Hugh    DOGHERTY
      William DOGHERTY
      Edward COLE

(I did not know about the additional information on family composition you could get from the 1835 census when I collected these names sometime in the 1990s) I will have to see if I can find that through Ancestry.

I have looked up Carrowreagh in Google and it seems this is south of Derry on the right side of the Foyle, at least Carrowreagh Park is there. Is this still in the Glendermott Presbyterian Parish?  Rebeccacs's sister Catherine Colhoun Abram nee Dougherty lived quite close to there in Dunnalong Co Tyrone in 1911, before emigrating to Canada.

Cheers

Linda

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have very few Irish records and they don't have the 1831 census for Co. Londonderry as far as I know (it only lists head of household, number of males & females, number of male & female servants and how many of each religion- Church of Ireland, R.C., Presbyterian, other).

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Aghadowey. I have checked the 1901 census and saw that there is a Carrowreagh in Garvagh (as well as several other locations in Co Londonderry). I presume the Garvagh one is where Martha Jane's father William  was from. I didn't find any Dougherty/Dohertys in 1901 though. I can check Griffiths next.

I think I got the 1831 index information (thank you for the info & date correction) during a NZ Genealogy Society Conference (maybe in the early 1990s) when they had some of their CDrom resources available. I have not been a member for some time as I have only been actively researching again this year.