Author Topic: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s  (Read 15920 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: LINTON family in Newtown Limavady, early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 10 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi samlinton, cyclamen and Gortinanima  :D

Thank you to all of you for the information you've posted.

Unfortunately without finding Anne's baptism (probably around 1795-1800) or her marriage to Richard (now supposed to be 1820-ish as opposed to 1825 as previously thought) I may never know who her father was, or how/if she's related to these other LINTONs, but it's useful to have the names nonethless, and I've added them into my references.

Thank you particularly, Gortinanima, for the info about Richard BALFOUR's address in 1831 - I didn't have that.  Does it have any other information about him or the household?  I know there's not a lot of detail in the '31...

Many thanks again to you all  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 May 10 07:19 BST (UK) »
1831 only names head of household but gives a statistical breaksown of numbers present in houseold and religious breakdown also.

Do you have Richard Balfour's death certificate which may give parents?

Belfast Newsletter of 22 Jan. 1796 - Thomas Balfour was amongst those who offered to contribute money for a reward  as Andrew Alexander of Newtownlimavady had feather beds bolsters pillows blankets sheets table cloths stolen from his property. The list was signed by the more prominent citizens of the area.

Return of Immigrants by "Parland" - A return on the disposal of immigrants per ship "Parland" from L'Derry which arrived at Sydney on the 5th Octr. 1838 under the superintendence or Dr Ross R.N.
Balfour,Richard Newtown-Limavady Dyer aged 41 wife aged 38, children 5 Religion Catholic Came on his own account to Sydney

So Richard was born c. 1797 was a 'dyer' and Ann his wife c. 1800 - they had 5 children before 1838 in Ireland.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
I do have Richard's death cert, but as it's so early (1842) it unfortunately gives no family information at all (really it's a record of burial, not death).

I must apologise too, I found an old thread of mine where someone did find the 1831 information for me - so sorry you doubled up with that.  I hope you didn't spend too much time on it!

I have all the information about Richard, Anne and family from 1832 onwards.  They came to Tasmania first, on the "Norval", with other army pensioners.  In 1836 they went back at least as far as London, on the "mary", and then in 1838 out again to NSW this time, on the "Parland" as bounty immigrants.

They had four sons born in Ireland before emigrating in 1832.  Another two were born in Tasmania, one of whom died.  They took all five surviving boys back to the UK in 1836 and they all came out again in 1838.

Thanks again for your help!  I have little knowledge of Ireland (either the North or the Republic) so always appreciate others taking the time to help me out with this stuff.

Cheers
Prue

Offline ArabellaFlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 May 11 05:54 BST (UK) »
Looking for Information on SAMUEL LINTON from Newton Limavady and his family. After reading some of the posts here it seems like my Samuel may be related to some of the Lintons in this thread.

SAMUEL LINTON born 1791 Newton-Limavady, Ireland died 8 November 1863 Montreal, Quebec, Canadamarried to MARTHA ANN LOUDON born Ireland 1799, died in Montreal 25 December 1869

I have a 4 x great Grandfather named Samuel Linton born 1791 in Newton Limavady. He married a Martha Ann Loudon who was born in 1799. They most likely married around 1819/1820 as their first child, Mary Ann Linton, was born sometime around 1821. She was followed by Martha (1822?), Elizabeth (1823? ), James (1826), Margaret (1827), Catherine (1832?) , Robert (1834), John (1837 or 1838), and finally Alice (1840) who is the only one of their children born in Montreal and the only one I have a confirmed birth date for due to her actual baptismal record.

I do know that Samuel and Martha Ann and their children left Ireland probably after their son John was born in 1837 or 1838. The Canadian Census' for John have him being born in Ireland and a Canadian Bio of Robert Linton says the following:

"Robert Linton became well known in the business circles of Montreal in connection with the manufacture of woolen goods. He was regarded as a resourceful business man whose enterprise, progress and laudable ambition were constantly manifest in the success which he won. A native of Ireland, he was born in Newtown-Limavady in 1834, a son of Samuel and Martha Linton, who brought their family to the new world during the boyhood of their son, Robert. Settling in Montreal, their remaining days were passed in this city but both have long since departed this life."

I do know that Samuel Linton was a shoemaker as I have been able to track him in listings from Lovell's Directory of Montreal. His son James Linton also was a shoemaker but when he died 22 June 1903 he owned the largest shoe and boot manufacturing company in North America. It was located in Montreal. This is from his obit in the Montreal Star

"James Linton, one of Montreal’s prominent citizens and one of the oldest boot and shoe manufacturers on the continent passed away in his handsome residence, Mountview….

In the early days, he worked as a practical shoemaker. Later on to branch into manufacturing.
For thirty five years, Mr. Linton was connected with the manufacturing life of Montreal. Born in the north of Ireland, he came to this country at an early age, and by thrift and close application to his affairs, achieved the success that is given only to the few."

Samuel and Martha Ann Linton belonged to Erskine Presbyterian Church in Montreal where all of the family events (marriages, births and deaths) were recorded. It appears that Martha Ann Loudon Linton quite possibly had a brother John Loudon (Lowden is another possibility of spelling) as his signature continually appears on this same  Church registry for the Lintons. He in fact was a witness along with Samuel Linton when my Great Grandparents x 3 (Elizabeth LINTON and Hugh Cowan) were married at Erskine Presbyterian Church on 20 July 1841.

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me find out who Samuel Linton's parents and siblings  were (possibly the Ann Linton that Prue notes) and also anything about Martha Ann Loudon and her family.

With many thanks,

Ann

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
1831 census Limavady [head of household only]

Samuel Louden 1family Linenhall Street, Limavady no .20
Robert Louden 1family Linenhall Street, Limavady no. 25

John   Linten   1 family Main Street, Limavady no. 3
Samuel Linten   1 family Lanes & Yards, Limavady no. 36
William Linten   1 family Lanes & Yards, Limavady no. 37
Jacob Linten]   1 family Lanes & Yards, Limavady no. 40

Offline ArabellaFlynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 05:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that :)

I have always had a difficult time knowing where to find things when it comes to my Irish Genealogy hunt. The things that you have supplied are wonderful. Now I need to figure out where I can find more records to see if I can't find out who the parents were for Samuel Linton and Martha Ann Loudon. I guess the next step is to see if any of the Presbyterian Churches in Limavady at that time have any notations in their records. I have found Drumachose Presbyterian and will get in touch with them. Any other ideas would be most appreciated. I have sent off your records regarding Samuel and Robert Loudon to someone who recently contacted me regarding that family. Hopefully it will help them also.

Any other ideas are most appreciated.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Arabella :)

Did you email me a little while ago?  I'm so sorry I haven't got back to you yet - that is very rude of me.  I must apologise!  :D

Given the limited number of Lintons in Limavady at that time (and thanks to Gortinanima we now have names and addresses too) I am sure they must have all been related, and would not be at all surprised to find that Samuel and Ann were siblings.  They seem to be about the right ages.

Pretty much everything I know about Ann and her time in Ireland is on this thread, i.e. not much  :-\  If you click on my name you will be able to view my profile, where you'll find a link to my website.  Click on the "Trees" link there to find (yet another!) link to the full family tree database.  It hasn't been updated in a while, but what is there is solid info.  One of these days I'll get around to putting up a new version but in the meantime do feel free to have a look around and see if you find anything interesting, Linton-wise.

Many thanks to you for getting in touch and to everyone else who has helped with info on this thread :)  Very much appreciated!  :D

Cheers
Prue

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My Linton link is in a later generation but may be of interest. My mother's aunt Rebecca Dougherty (b14 May 1879) married Samuel James LINTON on 26th July 1905 at Crossroads Presbyterian Church in Killea. Samuel was the son of John Linton, a farmer. Witnesses were Catherine Colhoun Dougherty and James Torrens.
In 1911 Rebbecca (28) and Samuel (30) were living in house 3 at Moyletra, Kill, Garvagh along with their 4 oldest children. (More were born after 1911). Also at Moyletra was Mary Sarah Doherty (Presbyterian) a cousin of Samuel.

Living at house # 2 in Moyletra Kill in 1911 were John Thomas LINTON aged 71 and his wife Martha Jane aged 68. They had been married 58 years and had 7 children still living.

Same names as yours and in the same general area I think just one or two generations later. Let me know if you track back down from your John & Samuel and find this Samuel & John in your tree and  want more info.

Cheers

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi lmgnz :)

Thanks for adding your info to the Linton saga.  One day I hope we'll be able to link them all up.  I have not worked on tracking forward from the Lintons remaining in Limavady after Ann left, but maybe that's something that I'll now spend some time on, and see where it takes me.  I'm not experienced with searching in Ireland (except for some work I've done with records in Cork) so I'll be flying blind ;)

Cheers
Prue