Author Topic: Russell Family of Ireland  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Star_kar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russell Family of Ireland
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 02:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on Joseph James Russell, born the 9th of March 1890. He emigrated to Canada in 1912. His parents are thought to have been James Russell and Rebecca Burns (also lacking any information on them). Siblings may have included John, William, Samuel, Violet, Margaret, and David. The area he likely came from is Londonderry or Letterkenny. Attached is a family picture.

Any information on Joseph or his family would be GREATLY appreciated, as would tips on how to find them. I am particularly interested in trying to find James Russell and Rebecca Burns dates of birth and location, as well as the names of their parents.

I am fairly new at this research, but have not been able to track down any information on this side of the family.
Reid, Caton, Shinkfield, Claxton, Rodhouse (England)
Russell (Ireland)
Hoelscher/Holscher (Germany)
Luckhaus (Switzerland/France/Germany)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Family of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Did Joseph James have any older brothers or sisters? Civil registration of Catholic marriage started in 1864 (other ones from 1845) so it's likely that there might be a marriage certificate for his parents. However civil registration of births began 1864 so doubtful the parents will have birth certificates unless he was one of the oldest in the family.
To search for church records, etc. you will have to have a better idea of where the family lived (parish if not actual townland not just a possible county).
What religion were the family- this is important when looking for many records.

Did a 'parent search' on LDS site but no children were shown.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Star_kar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
They were Protestant.
Joseph James was born in Aghlenty in Letterkenny (1890), but may have moved around after his birth. I am not sure if this is where his parents were from.
The above photograph likely includes some of his siblings. I believe John was the oldest. Others may have included William, Samuel, Violet, Margaret, and David (likely the youngest). I am not sure where Joseph James fell in this order.

Thank you taking an interest!
Russell (Ireland)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Suspect the family might have stayed in Co. Donegal as I searched for parents' marriage and births of Violet and Joseph James in Co. Derry and nothing came up on Irish Genealogy website.
Perhaps someone with access to other databases will be able to find at least the parents' marriage.
Knowing the family were Protestant isn't entirely helpful- you need to know their religion (Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.) to locate church records (if they still exist).
1901 and 1911 census will probably help fill in details on the family (1911 asks married women how many years they were married, how many children they had and how many were alive) but it will be awhile before they appear on National Archives, Dublin website. Until then you need to know where a family lived to find them on the census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Star_kar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 April 08 00:54 BST (UK) »
Managed to find out the religion... Presbyterian.
Russell (Ireland)