Author Topic: "Gentleman" in 1880?  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Beppy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Gentleman" in 1880?
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 04:20 BST (UK) »
On a marriage certificate dated 1880 I have an ancestor's occupation listed as 'Gentleman'. His daughter to be married lived at a 'Manor House, Norbiton' which is in London. She had no occupation, so this looks very interesting. However in previous censuses he was a Toll Gate keeper in Norfolk. No sign of wealth in that family up till the marriage.

Two questions: Could the occupation 'Gentleman' be just a person living on their own means? Or does it mean he is of note?
Also I have his death 14 years before the marriage [not confirmed], but this was not indicated on the certificate. Is it possible he could have died but they didn't record it? The groom was 60 years old and his father had no 'dec' either!!

Thanks for your ideas.
Beppy in sunny Sydney
SCOTLAND: Robertson, Graham, Park, McPherson, McNab, Wilkinson
LINCOLNSHIRE: Cash, Desforges
SURREY: Cash, Wynn
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Wynn
WALES: Wynn
SUSSEX: Stammers, Ward
CORNWALL: Caddy, Perry
LANCASHIRE: Boardman, Kershaw
WILTSHIRE: Attwood, Minty
SOMERSET: Morgan, Manning, Carver

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Gentleman" in 1880?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Originally a Gentleman was a well born man above the rank of Yeoman, usually entitled to bear a coat of arms. It was assumed that a Gentleman did not do manual work and the term gradually encompassed all those in the professions.

Generally speaking  a Gentleman, needed to do no paid work to support himself and did not rely on handouts of any sort from others he would live off his investments.
However there was nothing to stop anyone putting "Gentleman" on a marriage certificate.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
By the 1880s, "gentleman" meant whatever he wanted it to mean and could get away with.

I don't know about you but few of my marriage certificates from that period show a bride's occupation.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a marriage cerificate where the father's occupation (he was an agricultural labourer) is down as farmer. Can only thnk that this is a sympton of the class structure of the times (eg. girl marries into family of slightly higher social standing, and wants to be accepted into new cirlce). This particular young lady's father sadly died in the workhouse - thankfully her life changed, and she took the opportunites it gave her.
Also see some are given the title Mr. - Stan, do you know what the situation is with this? Is that the address given to a gentleman? Bit confused.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 08 14:30 BST (UK) »
Mr. is an abbreviation of the word Master and was originally a style of address for a Gentleman, but since the 17th cent., is the customary courteous prefix to the name of any man below the rank of knight. It is customary not to use the prefix when Esquire is appended to the name.

Stan

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 08 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, I don't know about that, Stan. I wouldn't say it was general in the 17th century. Starting to emerge in the late 17th century perhaps.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
Since the 17th cent. it has been the customary courteous prefix to the name of any man below the rank of knight.

Source The Oxford English Dictionary  :)

Stan

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
You can find several discussions about Gentleman in the
RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 08 23:58 BST (UK) »
In the area I'm researching the title Mr only appears to given to some (17th century and 18th century Nottingham). There were several Joseph Richards living there, and the term Mr was only given to one.
It doesn't seem to be a term used generally, which is why I wondered if it denoted a certain status.

Paulene :)