Author Topic: STEVENSTON Church history 1700s  (Read 5114 times)

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STEVENSTON Church history 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Hanan,
Nice to hear from you!  Yes, to the best of my knowledge he died while he was still the minister.  I contacted the present minister, but he was unable to supply any information.  I am kind of stuck right now, I would really like to research William's parents, but I don't know where he was born.  One person told me he may not have been born in Stevenston, he just was assigned that parish when he was ordained.  There are several William Reids born in the right time frame on Scotland's People, but it is difficult to know which one would be my ancestor, as none were born in Stevenston.  There is one in Kilwinning, but I have no idea if that is he or not.  It seems the most likely, as his wife was from there, but who knows?
I found a reference to him on ancestry.com, but the information ends with his date of birth, marriage and death.  I think the person who was researching him ran into the same brick wall that I have.
I was in contact with someone from National Archives who gave me some leads, but they are not online.  So, on my next trip to Scotland I am going to Edinburgh to do some research there.  I will also go to the Church of Scotland archives, which is probably my best bet, unfortunately they are not online either. I will be there in October, and am really looking forward to it.  I love Edinburgh.
Thanks so much for the Happy Haggis address, I will definitley be exploring it!
All the best,
Kathy

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Glad to be of help.  I have been doing a lot of research for in the Ayrshire area so I have made a lot of use of some of the websites in Happy Haggis, I'm sure you will find something of use.

Sorry to hear the local minister wasn't able to help.  I would think the Church of Scotland should have some papers on your grandfather to help you find his parents.

I would also recommend contacting North Ayrshire Council Family History Centre based in Irvine - email localhistory[at]north-ayrshire.gov.uk (replace [at] with@) I've found the girls at Family History quite helpful.  Perhaps they would be able to point you in the right direction.
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 April 08 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanan,
Thanks for getting in touch again. I have sent an email to the address you provided, maybe they can steer me in the right direction.
I looked at Parish and Probate Records on ancestry.com, but they weren't too helpful.  I am going to explore Happy Haggis tonight, hopefully I can find a clue there.  If not, I am optimistic a search of the archives of the Church of Scotland can help.  I will have to wait until my next trip to Scotland in October, though.
Thanks again!
All the best,
Kathy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 April 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
If you have access to a good reference library they may have or be able to get hold of "Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae" volume for Ayrshire (I think it's Volume 3) which lists details of all ministers from the Reformation onwards. Often their family details are also supplied.

Offline HighKirk1833

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 August 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hope this is helpful...

REV WILLIAM REID - MINISTER OF STEVENSTON HIGH KIRK - 1700
Called to the Ministry on the 10th April 1700; and ordained soon afterwards. He died on the 26th November 1742. He married his beloved wife Sarah on the 23rd of October 1702 (and who died 1735). She was daughter of Thomas Bogle of Bogleshole. Children: Alexander; Mary; William; Anna; Thomas (a merchant in Saltcoats); John of Seabank (married Anna, daughter of Robert Cunnigham of Auchenharvie); Alexander; Robert (apprentice to a W.S in 1734) - [Tombst]

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 August 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.