Author Topic: A success!  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A success!
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd tell you of one successful outcome!  My search for a newspaper report of the John Wise death in 1854.

"Regarding your enquiry concerning any information about the death of John Wise (on 11/6/1854 at the age of 35) and a report of the inquest, I have checked South Australian newspapers and have found two relevant but brief reports which I will post to you.

‘Adelaide times’ 16 June 1854, p.3, col. b
Mr. John Wise, of Yankalilla, while at Port Elliot on business, met Mr. Mitchell, publican, and while racing with him was thrown from his horse one day last week, and was never sensible after. He was taken to Mr. Barton, publican. The unfortunate man expired late on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

‘Register’ 16 June 1854, p.2, col. f
Fatal accident – As Mr. John Wise, of Yankalilla, stockholder, was returning from Port Elliot on the 7th instant, he fell from his horse on his head. He was at once picked up, and carried to Dodd’s Hotel, Port Elliot, where he lingered until Sunday morning, when he died. On Monday an inquest was held by Buxton F. Laurie, Esq., and a verdict returned of ‘Death from concussion of the brain.’

For a copy of the official inquest report you would need to contact State Records of South Australia, here is a link to their website:"

http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/

So, now I have 3 results!
1. From "Find the Way"  mustering cattle and rescued by Mr Tonkin.
2. From "The Adelaide Times" racing with a publican
3  From "The Register" fell from horse.

All the same but different!

Regards,
Abiam

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
Re: A success!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
Oh Abiam......pleased to hear you have had some success! Must admit to a little smile at the report in the Adelaide Times!

The report in the Register doesn't say he was racing with someone else.....but doesn't say how he fell from his horse. The Inquest could really clarify that, couldn't it?

Mustering cattle sounds like he had a work accident.....the Adelaide Times report sounds like he'd been having a good day out with the "boys" and was maybe a little under the weather.....

Hmmm....Dodd's Hotel......I wonder exactly where in Port Elliott that was.......I shall ask around. (I'm only 3 kilometres from Port Elliott.)

.......dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: A success!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 05:39 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant, Abiam!  Will be interested to see if you can get a copy of the inquest, and what it tells you!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland