Author Topic: Surname interests  (Read 6204 times)

Offline Toller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interests
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
I know his line. He lived right by my lot, but I've never found a connection - tell me if you do - could have been one way back. The other difference I notice in the two families, though living alongside each other, is mine start using the Independent Chapel, and Joel's line stay baptising with the Church.
I've already met other researchers (on line) following that line, so you are not alone! I may have kept details, do tell me if you want to be put in contact.
You will know already that an original Joel came from Chard area (they keep calling their sons Joel, so I can't remember how far back that one was!) and that a later Joel of that line becomes a shoemaker, and then runs a shop, I think learning to become a baker along the way. He's in the Directories online, which you no doubt have. In case you haven't already, if you put Diment (and possibly Joel as well, I haven't tried) into a search on A2A site, you will get one of the early Joel's being moved to a parish under the poor laws of the time.
Tell me if there's something you don't have, from what I mention, and I'll point you to where it is.

Offline JeanLillian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 April 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I did not know about the Chard Connection, Have seen the  data on Joel   on Directctories , anything you have  at all on Joel would be Appreciatted  My Dimentts e.g. Elizabeth Diment married Wiliam Long in 1829 in St Mary,s Bridport, Their
 son Josiah Long married martha Ward Hounsell
have you  tried The HOUNSELL website very usefull
 Regards Jean :)
WILTSHIRE ,  Dowdell, Down,   Blake   Shergold,Fowyle, whale, Terry  
  DORSET , Hounsell, Lacey Long,  Toms, Masters, Fancy, Wicks/Weeks
Diment, Trevett, Sprake, Symes, Vincent
SHROPSHIRE Hughes.
STAFFORDSHIRE Wilkes, Acton, Bannister,  Harrison.
GLOUCESTERSHIRE Symonds, Reynolds
WARWICKSHIRE Symonds Wilkes
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE  Andrews
OXFORD  Reeve, Eggleston
SCOTLAND Tongue
ESSEX  Tunbridge

Offline Toller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Here's the Chard connection. If you go to A2A (Access to Archives) site - just put A2A in Google search and you'll find it - and put Joel Diment in the search on that site, plus choose South West for region, you'll find three records. One is removal orders (overseers of the poor) to Beaminster for Joel Diment, Mary his wife and Fanny and Caroline his children, from Netherbury (28 Nov1831). This might be a connection worth checking. The second record regards Joel Diment of Chard 1781-90. I would guess he has to be connected to:
Joel Diment born Chard, Somerset, aged 67 on the 1871 census, living Allington, Bridport. He's a grocer, he has a wife Eliza, 52, born Bridport, and a son James, 22 (born Allington) living with him, who is a journeyman printer. Now, living there at Allington (household of his own) is also Joel Diment aged 26, who when I checked the records, is indeed the son of the older Joel born Chard. Younger Joel is baker and grocer, and he's with his wife Sarah, 25.
The parish records (church) have this family's baptisms and marriages.
The online parish clerk for Netherbury, Geraldine Gasparelli
tells me:" I just looked at the Dorset Ancestors site, and there's an exchange of correspondence going on there at the moment about Joel
Diment b. 1733 Netherbury.  The Administrator, Bob, has given details of the Symondsbury Diments.  It seems they do look-ups on that site too".
If that's of interest to you, you can contact her via the Dorset OPC site  www.dorset-opc.com - click on the Netherbury page on the list.
Good luck!

Offline Toller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 April 05 13:31 BST (UK) »
By the way, some baptisms are online for Joel and Eliza at this site:
www.rootsweb.com/~engdorse/PRBT.html
Laura

Offline JeanLillian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Laura, The ongoing research at
Dorset Ancestors is me,  i Found the information on A2A ,   but still no obvious connection to My Joel
 Thanks for your Help
Regards Jean :)
SHROPSHIRE Hughes.
OXFORD  Reeve, Eggleston
SCOTLAND Tongue
ESSEX  Tunbridge

Offline Toller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 September 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
Jean, I was digging back in registers and now see which Joel you meant (and no, I don't see the connection to the Joel from Chard yet either). I know you have Daniel too. Do you have Joel and Margaret as his parents or know if/how they are related?
Laura

Offline JeanLillian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 September 05 15:08 BST (UK) »
 Hi Laura, yes Joel Diment  m Margaret Symes may 1758
  Son Daniel Born 1768  married Grace Trevett
  Son Joel born 1770
 Jean
SHROPSHIRE Hughes.
OXFORD  Reeve, Eggleston
SCOTLAND Tongue
ESSEX  Tunbridge

Offline Toller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 October 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean - am doing very thorough digging into the far back Diments, hoping to sort out their connections. So far I've found Joel and Margaret, and a Joseph and Margaret, being the lone baptisers at one point (and then just the odd, single child). But back before that, there are in fact many Diments marrying etc at Allington, followed by a sudden cessation in all baptisms (but before the Independent Chapel got going). Someone has told me that many (most!) of the congregation fell out with the minister at that time at Allington.
I've got Joel and Margaret baptising one child at Allington, but not Daniel. Wanted to allocate him a father too! Please let me know where they did this to aid the tracking...and I'll let you know if I get success.
Also, you know Daniel the convict I told you about? I think I also found him managing to escape! Have you found that yet?
Laura   

Offline JeanLillian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 October 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura, I found a Daniel Diment death on ship  in Australia, cant find notes at moment,  email me direct
 Jean ???

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.
SHROPSHIRE Hughes.
OXFORD  Reeve, Eggleston
SCOTLAND Tongue
ESSEX  Tunbridge