Author Topic: Galvin Family from Kenmare  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Nivlag1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Galvin Family from Kenmare
« on: Friday 04 April 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Jeremiah F. Galvin was born in Kerry on October 1, 1898.  His parents were Jeremiah Galvin and Johanna Shea.  Actually on his birth cert the last name is spelled Gallivan.  I know he had a sister named Molly but I do not know any of his other siblings.  I know Jeremiah and Molly both emigrated to NYC.  I would be very interested in discovering any family ties.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Galvin Family from Kenmare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You have a bit of information to start with which is good but what are you looking for now? It will probably be easier tracing your grandfather and his sister in the U.S. than it will be to find records of the family in Ireland. Names od possibly living people and their details shouldn't be posted on this site but if you let us know what you'd like to find someone might be able to get you information or suggest sources to look at.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nivlag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
I would like info on my great grandparents if possible and to find out the other siblings my grandfather had.  I know 20 years ago an anunt of mine went to Kenmare and met a Jeremiah Galvin that would be a nephew of my grandfather.

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 January 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have an instant postcard, taken at Coney Island on 2 Sep 1906, marked `the Royal family' by the sender, who appears to be Martin Nolan (brother of my greatgrandmother Polly Waldron nee Nolan).  The others in the photograph are apparently his wife, nee Margaret Galvin, their two children and another unidentified adult male.

Martin died on 17 Oct 1910 and the family in Ireland lost touch with his widow and only surviving child.

Her NY marriage certificate (1 Jun 1902) gives the following information about Margaret Galvin:

residence NY, 26, White, Single, born Ireland, father: Tim Galvin, Mother's maiden name: Margt. O'Shea.

The IGI at www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=100105953984 has a close match, so I ordered the matching birth certificate:

Margaret Gallivan daughter of Timothy Gallivan and Margaret Gallivan formerly Shea b. 12 Oct 1873 at Raleigh in the district of Tuosist.

Martin Nolan's father was from Trienearagh near Listowel in north Kerry, so it would not be surprising to find that he married a south Kerry woman.

I cannot find any mention anywhere else of a place called Raleigh in or near Tuosist.

If anyone else researching Galvins or Gallivans in the vicinity of Kenmare or Tuosist can add to my knowledge of Martin Nolan and Margaret Galvin, I would be most grateful.

Paddy Waldron
Ballina/Killaloe
Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 January 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Closest I could come to Raleigh in Kenmare Poor Law Union was Releagh in Kilcaskan Parish but not sure it's the correct place.

IGI parent search fpor children of Timothy Gallivan and Margaret Shea brings up 12 entries, all in Co. Kerry, but am wondering if perhaps there are 2 couples rather than one:
Margaret born 7 July 1866 Tuosist district
Patrick born 6 Feb.1868
Bridget born 9 Feb.1868
Mary born 10 Feb.1868
Gubby born 10 Feb.1868
(female)- possibly Gobnait? (Irish form of Abigail)
Johana born 10 July 1869
John born 10 July 1869
Daniel born 9 Jan.1870
John born 29 Apr.1872
Margaret born 12 Oct.1873 Tuosist district
Norry born 20 Apr.1875 (female)- possibly Nora?
Peter born 6 July 1876

4 children born 6-10 Feb.1868! Mary & Gubby could be twins or perhaps triplets with Bridget born previous day but Patrick 6 Feb?
Also, John born July 1869 and then Daniel born 6 months later in Jan.1870!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 January 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
The fact that there are two Galvin households in Releagh in the 1911 census suggests that you are very probably correct.

The heads of household, Jeremiah and James, both gave their ages as 50, so would have been born just before civil registration began.

Perhaps Timothy Galvin and Margaret Shea had even more children than we have counted in the IGI!

If they had all those children, there must be some descendants out there who can help us to fill in the blanks.

\pw

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
After many years of getting nowhere on this quest, I have made enormous progress in an hour and a bit!

One review notes that Molly Gallivan's Cottage and Traditional Farm Visitor Centre (http://www.mollygallivans.com/) is in Releigh [sic], so I have just sent off an e-mail to the address on the website asking to be put in contact with anyone familiar with the Gallivan family history!

\pw

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 January 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Progress continues:

For the benefit of Nivlag1, I should also point out that one of the Galvin households in Releagh in the 1911 census (published at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Banawn/Releagh/285028/ last month) had parents Jeremiah and Johanna with six children including Mollie (aged 16) and Jerry (aged 13, i.e. b. 1897 or 1898).

There is a current telephone listing for Jerh. Gallivan of Releigh, presumably the man mentioned above.  This can be found by selecting "Residential" and "FIND" at http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search/kenmare/gallivan.html  Perhaps I should give him a call!

Were Jeremiah F. Galvin and Molly Galvin of NYC nephew and niece of Margaret Nolan nee Galvin of NYC?  And did they have any contact with her after they emigrated to NYC?

\pw

Offline Nivlag1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I do know that Jeremiah F (my grandfather)'s sister Molly married someone named John Duane and they eventually lived in Westchester County in NY.  I also know that my grandmother mentioned that we were related to O'Sheas.  I just do not know how.  The name Peggy Nolan is so familiar to me.  I have one Aunt left that I will check with her although she is not the best one for remembering things about the family.

I will check out that 1911 census.  Thank you so much for that info.