Author Topic: Printing Bits of FTM 2006 ~ COMPLETED Thanks!  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Printing Bits of FTM 2006 ~ COMPLETED Thanks!
« on: Friday 04 April 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know I'm not very technical, but am I being daft or is the following just not possible (if so then  :P to FTM).

I would like to print an 'all in one' tree for my 2nd cousin.  Now I don't actually want a full 'all in 1', as much as she loves him I don't imagine she would want to have my hubby's family on it.

I have tried various ways, but is the only way REALLY to list all her rellies??  Is there no way I can start from her mum and get it to just print from there?  I know how to do her direct ancestors, but I would like to give her all the stuff I have on siblings etc.  (I was thinking of getting it framed and give it her as a present.)

So am I as technically useless as I think, or is it just not possible?

Grateful for any ideas.

Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Printing Bits of FTM 2006
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
You may need to extract the data from your cousins branch and create a second datafile, which will only include the family members you want.

Go to the top of your cousin's branch in Family View.
Click on Reports and select Outline Descendant.
Run the report and check that it includes the right people and then click on File >> Export File >> Copy/Export Individuals in Outline Descendant Tree.

You can export this as a GEDCOM file or a FTM file, it doesn't really matter.  Save it with a name like CousinsFile.

When that is done on the FTM main menu select File and then Open and select CousinsFile.  If you saved the file as a gedcom file then FTM will launch a wizard that will convert the gedcom into its native binary format.

Now you are ready to create your All-in-one report and it should only contain the people you require.  If you have a few people that you do not want then you can delete them as this is only a copy of you original data.

When you have finished running the report and you want your original data back then go up to File and Open and specify your usual file name.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Re: Printing Bits of FTM 2006
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 April 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  Will print your post and follow it and hopefully not make too much of a mess!  ;D

(Aren't computers wonderful?...Although not really fair to blame an inanimate and useful object for my ineptitude  ??? ...they are certainly more useful than I am at the mo!  ;D)

Seriously, thanks downside, I was facing an uphill struggle!

KR

bwgan
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk