Author Topic: WILKINS - Watlington and Henley  (Read 2513 times)

Offline green-finger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WILKINS - Watlington and Henley
« on: Friday 14 January 05 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I've just begun to research my family history - my great-grandfather started Wilkins & Sons House Furnishers in Henley. I learnt last week that my great-great grandfather Job Wilkins was born in 1823 in Watlington, his wife Jane (they married in 1850 and had 6 children) came from Blewbury in Berkshire and the family was in Henley for the 1871 census. Job died in Wallingford in 1895.

What I would like to do is to find Job's parents and family who must have lived in Watlington, at least in 1823. Has anyone any info which might help me please? Oxfordshire seems to be full of Wilkins!

Many thanks,

green-finger
I am sorry but my emails are not working.
Wilkins, Phipps, Saunders, Chapman, Pickett in Wiltshire, particularly around the Lavingtons.

Wilkins in south Oxfordshire and east Berkshire.

Offline green-finger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINS - Watlington and Henley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Since posting this message I've discovered that the father of Job Wilkins was James Wilkins, born in Radley in 1794, married to Sarah, born in Berrick in 1800. In 1851 he was a farm bailiff in Stoke Row but by 1871 he was just a farm labourer at the age of 77 in Russell's Water. His son Job was born in Watlington in 1823 and his daughter Sophia in Swyncombe in 1828.

Does anyone know of this branch of the family who went on to live in Henley.

Regards,

green-finger.
I am sorry but my emails are not working.
Wilkins, Phipps, Saunders, Chapman, Pickett in Wiltshire, particularly around the Lavingtons.

Wilkins in south Oxfordshire and east Berkshire.

Offline liverbirds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINS - Watlington and Henley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 05 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this will be any help to you, but Wilkins still operate from Henley-on-Thames as a removals company. They are at 9-11 Deanfield Avenue, telephone 01491 572037, I think it is still run as a family business, might be worth a call. I lived in Henley for 30 years and now live a mile from Watlington, looking in the phone book the only local Wilkins are around Cholsey and Goring, good luck with your search
Mc Cann,Dublin. Evans,Anglesey.Jones,Denbigh.Wesson,Huntingdonshire. Mc Dermott, anywhere. and the same names in Liverpool after 1861