Author Topic: Saint Sever cemetery, Rouen  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Saint Sever cemetery, Rouen
« on: Saturday 05 April 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone has any connections with this cemetery. My grandad is buried there and I am hoping to make it over there this year for the 90th anniversary.

He died in 1918 and I was wondering which area would have been the last area he fought in near to this city.

I would also like to chat to anyone else to had family members in the Welsh Regiment in that area at that time.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Sever cemetery, Rouen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 08 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi GG !

Rouen was a hospital centre for most of the war, so it's possible that your grandad was injured some distance away and brought to this town. 

This info is quoted from CWGC website "During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city. Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension, where the last burial took place in April 1920. During the Second World War, Rouen was again a hospital centre and the extension was used once more for the burial of Commonwealth servicemen, many of whom died as prisoners of war during the German occupation. The cemetery extension contains 8,346 Commonwealth burials of the First World War (ten of them unidentified)"

It therefore maybe worth getting a look at The Welsh Regiment War Diary for the period before your Grandad's death to see what they were involved in, bear in mind though that unless he was an officer, it's unlightly that he will be named.  Also his injuries could be the result of sniper fire and not a battle  :-\

Have you got his Medal Index Card from The National Archives?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Gene Genius

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 April 08 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info. Yes I do have his Medal Card and his medals actually. I have a picture of the grave from when my Dad went to visit ( the first and only time) in 1976. No-one else has ever been to see it. It means a lot to me to try and get over there.

I know he fought at the Somme and Paaschendaele, a very brave man.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi GG !

Indeed, as they all were.  If you have, and understand, the indexes on his MIC, there are only his papers which may or may not exist at TNA as well  :-\

I really hope you make it to the 11.11.08 Anniversary. 

Wendi  :) 
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile