Author Topic: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help  (Read 45835 times)

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tammy Mitchell,

Yes I agree, some of the dates don't seem to gel, so I'm not sure.

As far as I know my Great grandparents Patrick Mitchell (Born 1827) married Bridget Mitchell (nee Gaffney) in 1856 at Cloone.
They had children Mary, Owen, Michael and Patrick, and I only know my Grandfather Owen was born in 1860 and died in Herberton (Qld-Aust) in 1922, and don't know the birth dates of the other children. However, I have old letters from the siblings & cousins from Cloone.

Also a Michael McCarrol from Dublin has recently made contact and we have discovered that his Grandfather was Michael Mitchell - Owen's brother.

Regards Robert

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 11 October 10 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert, (and Michael McCarrol) -

Have any of your (or this) Mitchell clan tested with familytreeDNA, maybe -  in the Mitchell surname project or perhaps registered in another surname project?
If so, can we share results?
Or maybe you or others related to this Mitchell clan might consider either the family finder test or the Y DNA test?

The reason I ended up on this message thread, is that a person in my family tree, with the surname Mitchell, has a distant match with Carleen Doherty, who posted here and has her ancestors listed a Peter Doherty and Ann Mitchell. So far the Mitchell surname is the only one we can find in common.

Here is a little info written by my cousin and fellow researcher Mary Mitchell, both her and her brother matched Carleen (this was written to a Susan, who is related to Carleen):

My name is Mary Mitchell G.  My Mitchell line came from the Edinburgh area of Scotland, at least as far back as we have proven, about 1770.  We do have the strong possibility for the next 2-3 generations back (the era of the Battle of the Boyne...later 1600s into the early 1700s) of "foot soldiers" in our line, but they are not yet proven.  The family we first consider in that era had children baptised in both Glasgow and in Edinburgh, indicating that they were moving between those two cities.

My brother did the Y DNA test for me, and we know that he is R1b1b2a1b, which doesn't really prove much of anything as it is a common haplotype for Great Britain.  We are in the Mitchell surname group, and so far, we have NO Mitchell matches....which also doesn't mean much of anything.  (In an odd twist of fate, we have a few Maxwell matches at 25 markers with a genetic distance of 2.  I have been told that this is an indication that my Mitchell name is an old one, because in Gaelic, Mitchell and Maxwell and spelled similarly and sound very much like Miexell.)

I am writing to you because my brother and I both recently did the "family finder" test at Family Tree DNA, and we both matched William Doherty, currently 95 years old, and a grandson of Ann Mitchell and Peter Doherty of Cloone.  It seems that we certainly match, since it is both of us who match with William.  The only ancestral surname that we share, that we know of, is Mitchell.  I am in contact with William's daughter, Carleen, who is helping my cousin Tammy Mitchell and I try to research this line further.

Since the time that you posted your research, would you have come across anything further on Ann Mitchell's ancestry?  Or, might you have suggestions as to where/how to research her further?

Thanks so much, for any help you may be able to give us.
~~~~~

Tammy

ps, in Scotland, our 4th great grandfather was a cattle dealer/publican, so it' not that far off!!

« Previous Edit: Tuesday 12 October 10 06:32 BST (UK) by ripriprip »

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 11 October 10 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tammy,

I haven't any information on Ann Mitchell but will contact Kevin McConnell and see if he knows anything.

Regards...Robert

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 11 October 10 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tammy,

No, I haven't done anything with DNA, and besides I'm way down in Australia. However,
Kevin McConnell in Dublin is a little closer.

Regards...Robert

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 11 October 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
There are two types of tests, and there is significance of testing Mitchells with roots in Leitrim, so that worldwide, we can attempt to clarify who is related to whom?

I'd like to encourage folks....especially those of you with the Mitchell surname and roots in Leitrim, to consider DNA testing, as it adds a whole new dimension to genealogy and helps to clarify who is related to whom.  Although costly, it can be done by anyone anywhere in the world.  The site with the most data....therefore the ability to compare your genes to the most people....is Family Tree DNA.  (I am not an investor!)

Their site is http://www.familytreedna.com

Upon selection of a test and payment of the fee, they will mail (to anywhere in the world) a swab kit.  It consists of little brushes and little vials, instructions on how to swab the inside of your cheek and a return padded envelope.  There are two tests you might consider.  One is the Y DNA test, which can only be taken from a male (which in this case we hope would be a male with the Mitchell surname.)  The other is the "family finder test", which looks at the "autosomal" DNA....i.e., genes that are not sex related; i.e., anyone can be tested.  (The family finder test is how Carleen and Mary Mitchell G connected, as mentioned previously.) The family finder tests looks a small sample of the genes that are passed from parents, grandparents, great grandparents, great great grandparents (etc.) to you.  Since each of us has a random pool of those genes, from grandparents, siblings will have some of those that match, and some that are different, so it is worth testing anyone/everyone in the family.....

There are excellent, but quick (maybe 3 minutes apiece) video clips put out by the University of Utah, that explain about the different types of DNA tests, and what information they will "tell" you.  You can view them at:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/extras/molgen/auto_dna.html

Click on "Autosomal DNA" to learn what can be learned from the "family finder test"; click on "Y Chromosome DNA" to learn what can be learned from the Y DNA test.
(above written by Mary)

I live in BC Canada. Mary lives in Florida, USA
Cheers

Offline immck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,   I live north of Sydney (about 50Kms) at a place called Tuggerah on the central coast of NSW.  I visited Cloone, Ireland, a few years ago but because of time restraints I was only there for a day - it's a very pretty place.  One of my books is called Roisin and is based on my mother's life in Australia. The front cover has a photo of Owen Mitchell out the front of his hotel in Herberton, Nth. Qld, Aust. I also have a number of other old photos of unidentified people that look like they were taken in Ireland.......regards Robert

Hi I am new to this site.  I believe that Owen Mitchell inherited the Federal Hotel in Herberton in 1908 from Hugh McKiernan.  Hugh is related to my family.  I would be pleased if you could confirm that we have he same Owen Mitchell and would be very interested in a photo of the hotel if you are willing to share this....regards  Immy

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Immy,

I can't recall the name Hugh McKiernan anyway in my records nor the name Federal Hotel in Herberton, Nth. Queensland, however, in those days of Tin Mining there were a number of Hotels in the town.
When I visited Herberton some years back I noticed that there was now a large hardware store where the hotel once stood.

I have included a photo of the Herberton Hotel with my Grandfather standing out front, I hope it helps.

Regards...Robert Bartlett

Offline immck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Robert.  I don't know what connection Owen & Annie Mitchell had with Hugh McKiernan, but I would like to know more.   Owen had the Star hotel at Calcifer in 1898-1899.  This was transferred to McCarthy (related to Hugh McKiernan).  Hugh McKiernan took over the Federal Hotel (previously known as the Sydney) Herberton in 1900 and I believe that Owen managed this for him from 1900 until Hugh's death in 1908.  Hugh (who had 2 sons and a daughter living at the time of his death) in his Will left the Federal Hotel and Land on which it stand to Owen Mitchell and also both Owen and his wife Annie were left a sum of money by Hugh.  Hence I feel there must have been a close connection between Hugh McKiernan and the Mitchells.
Owen Mitchell sold the Federal to J O'Donnell in 1912 and from 1914- Feb.1922 Owen held the licence at the P O Hotel, Herberton.   Do you know the date of your photo?  The photo does not show a large amount of the building, hence it is difficult to determine which hotel it might be.  I am thinking that it would probably be the P O Hotel?  Which of the gentleman standing in the photo is Owen (one with dark hat or the one with the light hat?
Appreciate you help
regards Immy

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Immy,

On the front on my Roisin novel the man with the dark hat with his hand in his pocket is Owen Mitchell.

I haven't heard of Calcifer and the other details you provided are news to me, but I do remember the name Post Office Hotel.

Where are you located?  My novel has numerous photos within the book, including a broader picture of the hotel, and most of my books are available from Australian libraries.  Some years ago I donated a copy of Roisin to the Cloone Library.

Regards..Robert B