Author Topic: William Williams' in Wales...Is he a lost cause?  (Read 26784 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams' in Wales...Is he a lost cause?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 April 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmmm just been looking at Martha Jepson and family in 1901, someone has contacted Ancestry and they have put a warning triangle next to her name indicating she is also known as Martha Williams.....well yes, that was her maiden name but why add they to Ancestry?  Wonder if it's possible to trace the person who did this?

This is her anyway and as you say no sign of the Williams' girls.

85 Chapel Street, Rawmarsh.

Isaac Jepson, 44, coal miner, born Rawmarsh
Martha Jepson, 42, born Wales
Harry Jepson, 19, coal miner, born Rawmarsh
Lily Jepson, 14, born Rawmarsh
James Jepson, 11, born Rawmarsh
Laurence Jepson, 7, born Rawmarsh
James Williams, father in law, 80, retired labourer, born Wales
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 April 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
And this could well be John in 1901....

Visiting the John Davies and family at 37 South Street, Ystradyfodwg (I think!)

John Williams, visitor, 35, coal hewer, single, born Nantyglo
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 April 08 14:04 BST (UK) »
So that's all the Williams family found in 1901 and no sign of Jane and the girls.....
WL-Williams

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Probably a stupid question, but would Jane have been in the workhouse in 1901 (with or without daughters)?

Tried looking for it, but I don't know Yorkshire....know Coalbrookvale though!  ;D

Just a point as a follow up to Osprey's point about comparing signatures on certs...the Register Offices around here (Gwent) tend to provide handwritten transcriptions of certs...not always 100% accurate, but very quick (and I have had some truly excellent help from them...can't praise them enough...and no I don't have any shares!  ;D).  I suppose they might provide a photocopy if you ask...or am I missing the point...won't be the first time.

(And I still can't find James Snr in '71  >:( or did someone find him already?  :-[)
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:20 BST (UK) »
I've looked in the workhouse in Middlesbrough and surrounding towns workshouses and no Jane or kids....
WL-Williams

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmmm just been looking at Martha Jepson and family in 1901, someone has contacted Ancestry and they have put a warning triangle next to her name indicating she is also known as Martha Williams.....well yes, that was her maiden name but why add they to Ancestry?  Wonder if it's possible to trace the person who did this?

I though the yellow triangles are generated automatically, could it be from the head, Wife, Father in Law relationship?

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:43 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure Deryckjohn, I know I've emailed about incorrect names but can't remember which symbol was placed next to them.  I have also had familys with the father-in-law residing with them and there has been no symbol denoting a different name.....  Hmmmmmmmm
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
Info regarding the James Williams and Rachel marriage record....

James is shown as a General Labourer, and his father is also James Williams. Rachel was a widow at the time of this wedding and her former surname was Edwards.

So this is very likely to be a link to the Nantyglo Williams' and it is definately the Rachel who was Jane's mother.

Can I assume my Williams IS James' brother and also from the Nantyglo clan?  I can't see the Nantyglo William anywhere else in 1891.....
WL-Williams

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
well, that marriage would match with this possible for Jane's parents
Rachel Edwards sept qtr 1865 Merthyr Tydfil vol 11a pg 468 with John Thomas on the same page.
She's not entirely consistent in her age, but most women lose a few years on marrying a younger man.   ::)

If you've eliminated all other possibilities, it certainly looks a good working theory, but I don't think you can be 100% sure, although it all looks very likely.

Still haven't spotted James Williams senior in 1871, but I did find the family in 1851, where Amy has become Emma - HO107/2447 folio 563 pg 38.

Did you find out Rachel's father's name? There's a few possibles in Merthyr in 1851, but one of them has father called Ebenezer and sister Charlotte. HO107/2459 folio 431 pg 8.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb