Author Topic: Crooks ~ Scotland / Ireland / U.S.A  (Read 945 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Crooks ~ Scotland / Ireland / U.S.A
« on: Sunday 04 April 04 17:35 BST (UK) »
I was recently sent an instant message from GLCROOKS, if you are interested in the following information please search for that username, I am unconnected and cannot help with this request:

Original Message:
"My fathers side we are Scots and the surname is Crooks, we arrived around 1740 from Ulster and immigrated to western Pennsylvania. John Crooks Sr. (immigrant) was also a fuller and operated a fuller mill on his farm here, this is the only possible clue I have to Ulster and haven't located them there"

GLCROOKS

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Crooks ~ Scotland / Ireland / U.S.A
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Fuller and Fuller mills are new terms to me. You learn something new every day. Fulling is connected with the weaving trade. www.btinternet.com/~rob.martin1/full/full.htm

I have a library book "The Millers and Mills of Ireland about 1850" This is a list compiled by William E. Hogg. It was first published in 1997. I noticed the name George Crooks of Inishloughlin, Magheramesk in Co. Antrim. On his land, near the river Lagan was an old mill. The date when the mill was built is unknown. The purpose for which the mill was used is also unknown. The listing has a question mark beside the word "corn".

Best Wishes,

Christopher