Author Topic: Is this a Military Uniform?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Mellz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a Military Uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 April 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this info....(as you can see I'm not at all knowledgable about Military matters...I'm going to have to try and read up about Kitchener Battalions)

Just another question....Wasn't 38 quite old to be called up?

No one in our family has ever heard mention of John doing active service. It's got me wondering what his role in the war effort would have been exactly...

Thanks for all your interesting info
Best wishes
Mellz

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 April 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
The Kitchener bns were not conscripts, they were volunteers....And 38 is not at all too old to fight!

If we can pin down the exact John Taylor we can then extrapolate his unit, and we can then fill you in as to his whereabouts, and any actions during the war.
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Mellz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 April 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
;D I don't think 38 is old personally...but I thought I'd read some where that by age 40 (in those days) you were classed as too old for active service??

I would love to trace his Military days...I have just been looking at my family tree and he and his family did move from Lancs to Yorkshire..I am guessing around 1915 because his youngest son was born in that year at Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. And the whole family settled there in later years as my Grandfather (his son) was brought up in Dewsbury. But I can't be certain when they actually moved to Yorkshire.
However the photo I have has been taken in a Bolton studio??.....could it have been taken in 1914/15 just before he moved counties???.....
Oh dear I think I'm complicating matters!..This is definitely like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Best Wishes
Mellz