Author Topic: Menin Gate  (Read 914 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Menin Gate
« on: Monday 07 April 08 14:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find where to find my great uncle's name on the Menin Gate Memorial and have come to the conclusion that this will be the quickest way of going about it.

Can anyone give me a link which will come up with a name search as none of the sites I have tried are coming up with the goods.

The name I am looking for is Ernest Cooper Smith who died November 1914, Ypres. Not sure which regiment he was with but it would have most likely been a Durham or Northumberland one.

Any suggestions more than welcome as I hope to visit the Ypres area in a couple of weeks time and would love to find the right place.

Ta,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Ken MacLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Menin Gate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Jen,

His CWGC record shows him on Panels 8 and 12.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=917290

The reason for his name appearing on two panels as explained by CWGC:

"Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment with which the casualty served. In some instances, where a casualty is recorded as attached to another Regiment, his name may appear within their Regimental Panels. "

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 April 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is wonderful and means I can go and find him quite easily.

Cheers,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

Looking at Ernest's Soldier's Died in the Great War entry, the only other information on there is that Ernest was born in Middlesbrough and he also enlisted in Middlesbrough.

It also states "Died".  Thus he was neither killed in action or died of wounds.  Though men would die of fevers, heart attacks, flu, etc.,  or anything else that the conditions that they were living in would bring on.   :'(

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay: