Author Topic: Thomas Carter Colmworth  (Read 870 times)

Offline marydoll5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Carter Colmworth
« on: Monday 07 April 08 20:21 BST (UK) »
I have a ancester of mine named Thomas Carter he Married Elizabeth Cooper in Oct 1871 in Eaton Socon.Thomas was born 1849 in Colmworth,Bedfordshire.In the 1881 census they were living in Roxton village.In Dec 1884 Elizabeth died giving birth to a daughter and was buried in Colmworth.
In 1885 his 4 children were put into the workhouse as Orphans,eventually sent to Ramsgate Kent as Apprentice Fishermen.Their names were William,Arthur,Frank and Walter.
The problem i have is tracing Thomas Carter,after the 1881 census i cannot find anything on him,its as if he has completely disappeared.If anyone can help with any information as to Thomas's whereabouts I would extremely grateful.
Many thanks
Julie.
ROBERTS - ST AGNES
ROBERTS - ST KEVERNE
ROBERTS - ST ALLEN
PETERS - ST KEVERNE

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Carter Colmworth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 May 08 01:37 BST (UK) »
Julie

I can't see him in Bedford prison records - and I have the same kind of thing in my tree [Dad clears off after Mum dies in childbirth etc].  I havent found my bloke

Please look in the Beds Archives online search site which is very good - and email the archivist too?

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline marydoll5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Carter Colmworth
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 May 08 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
Thanks for your message. I did visit the archives with my cousin recently & found out that the child we thought had died at birth along with her mother actually survived and was placed in the workhouse with her brothers. Unfortunately she died aged 1 in the workhouse and we were still none the wiser as to the fathers whereabouts or reasons for leaving the children. Then a few weeks ago my dad, the clever so & so actually found Thomas on the 1891 census living in London with his deceased wifes brother. So now the mystery is why did he go there, and when. I am thinking for work and before his wife died as he wasn't actually present at the death.  The mystery continues........
Kind Regards Julie
ROBERTS - ST AGNES
ROBERTS - ST KEVERNE
ROBERTS - ST ALLEN
PETERS - ST KEVERNE